Power Commander Iii Non-usb

SierraRider

Question

• Member Contributer

So I am trying to load a map onto my Power Commander III NON USB. I am using a serial port/usb cable connected to my VISTA laptop. I can't get the power commander to get recognized, thus it does not show up with the Power Commander software. I have powered up the bike; the leds on PC III light up.

I have checked the Power Commander website. I have also loaded the Vista driver for the cable.

Anyone run into a similar problem?

--moderately frustrated in Cal.

5 answers to this question

I had the same problem with the USB version and Ubuntu. I ended up dual booting my laptop with XP. Your problem should be easier to fix.

Action

• Member Contributer

Ok well I figured things out and thought I would post in case anyone else runs into problems with the PC III non usb models and Vista OS.

I purchased a serial/usb cable (I used the Sabrent SBT-USC6M).

Installed the Vista driver from their website.

Rebooted my vista laptop, twice???. Finally got the driver to recognize the cable.

Turned on (without starting) my 2002 VFR.

Plugged in the serial/usb cable.

Opened up the Power Commander Software.

I had previously downloaded the Cozye map from this fine website. However that map appeared incompatible with my PC III. I then downloaded the Cozye version posted by Iannn (also in the downloads of VFRD). There is an issue with the file saved as a .mov file. So after it is downloaded, you need to right click the file and click properties. Then manually change the extension from a .mov to a .map file and associate the file to "opens with" Power Commander Control Center".

After that I was able to load the modified PCIII Cozye map and upload it.

It did the trick. I had purchased this VFR800A with only 3000 miles and the previous owner had the PCIII installed, but he said he saw no improvement. I finally decided to check the map (after tolerating the FI glitches for 17,000 miles). Earlier this week, I installed the Radio Shack resistor O2 eliminator mod.

Now with the Cozye map, the glitches in the 4000-5000 rpm range have smoothed out, and the VTEC transition is sweet. Previously it would jerk; not in a good way. Now the transition comes and the bike launches.

Thank you to Cozye, Iannn, and VFRD.

• Member Contributer
Glad to hear you got it figured out.

.mov filename extensions are Apple Quicktime movies, not sure why someone would have saved it with that extension........

That's what I was thinking! Glad you figured it out, I wouldn't know how to change a file extension...

Archived