Shark Rsi Initial Impressions

tyrroneous

• Member Contributer

This is a review of my initial impressions after using the Shark RSI for 45 miles.

Background:

So I'm just returning to riding after a forced 9mo layoff due to getting a couple vertebrae in my neck fused back in July of last year. I decided that since my neck muscles and bones might not be quite back to their original strength yet that getting a light weight helmet would be a good idea. My previous helmet was a Scorpion EXO 700, a very good helmet in most regards except that it is on the heavy side.

My requirements for my new helmet were as follows: full face, light weight, comfortable, excellent ventilation, and good looks.

Research:

For research, I primarily used www.webbikeworld.com as their helmet database is extensive and lists the weight for each helmet. I believe I probably read most of their reviews at least twice before finally pulling the trigger! :crazy:

Enter the Shark RSI. Webbikeworld couldn't find enough good things to say about this helmet in their review. Lets see if my impressions mirror theirs...

Findings:

Weight: It didn't take long for me to recognize the difference here between the RSI and the Scorpion. On their website, Shark lists the RSI as weighing 1400 g +/- 50 g. Webbikeworld weighed their size XL sample and it came in at 1656 g. I'm guessing that Shark probably did not use their larger shell size as a weight reference. Thus, the descrepency in weight between Shark and WBW. And who knows, maybe Shark pulled their liner out of the helmet before weighing it? Regardless, the RSI is noticeably lighter than the EXO 700. The helmet basically disappears once I put it on. It feels incredibly light and well balanced.

Comfort/Fit: Shark uses a long oval internal shape for the RSI. My noggin tends to be a neutral to slightly long oval shape. My head circumference was measured at 56cm, right at the upper limit of a size SM according to Shark's sizing chart. I like my helmets to fit rather tightly, so I had no reservations about purchasing a SM.

The liner is fully removeable, washable and is made of a black, sweat wicking cool-max type material and is quite plush. It feels nice against my skin with no scratchiness. Areas of the liner that aren't padded are made of a grey colored mesh fabric.

The size small fits me quite well with no hotspots or pressure points. I do wish however that it fit just a bit tighter, especially in the cheeks. I've got thicker cheek pads on order. The salesguy I spoke to said that the thicker pads will make a good bit of difference but if I still want an all around tighter fit, that I can order a liner from an xsmall helmet. This will basically convert my size SM into an XSM as supposedly, the only difference in the two sizes is the liner and cheek pads. Fit is one area where the Scorpion trumps the Shark. The EXO700 fit me extremely well, almost as if Scorpion used my cranium for the mold. It was nice and tight without being uncomfortable and helped to give me an impression of good protection since it fit so snug and secure. I'm hoping the thicker cheek pads will help to boost the Shark's rating in this regard.

The eye port is nice and large. Only a very small portion of my peripheral vision is obscured.

Ventilation: The Shark RSI uses the exact opposite approach to ventilation than the Scorpion EXO 700. Where the EXO had a chin vent, two side brow vents, one central forehead vent and two rear vents, all with switches (some multi position, I might add), the RSI has one chin vent, one tip intake vent and two rear exhaust vents. The chin and top vent open and close with a solid 'click' and are easy to operate with gloves. Riding to work in 50 deg temps this morning, I could tell when the top vent is open or closed. So clearly the ventilation does work control the flow of air. My concern is how well it will work in the muggy Mississippi summers (the EXO was mostly up to the task in this regard). According to WBW, their RSI ventilation worked about as well as the other top brands. I'll have to reserve judgement until the weather warms up a bit more.

Visor: The Shark visor is the bee's knees! Both the clear and the dark smoke are thick (2.2 mm) without ANY optical distortion. The visor detents are solid and well spaced. The smallest opening will see the visor positioned 1/2" above the visor gasket, perhaps too far to really be considered a demisting position. The visors have an antifog coating, but I haven't ridden in conditions that will test that feature yet.

The visor is raised and lowered via a tab on the left side of the visor and there is little to no twisting or flexing of the visor when it is moved up or down. Visor removal is super easy. Raise the visor mid-way, push the button on either side of the helmet, and pull the visor off. That's it. Installation is the opposite. I have never seen an easier visor removal/install method than this one. Kudos to Shark for something simple and effective.

The eye port is nice and large. Only a very small portion of my peripheral vision is obscured. The gasket seal around the eye port does it's job too. With the clear visor on, it is evident that contact between the visor and gasket is being made all the way around the eye port.

Looks: Of course, this is going to be one area that is quite subjective...but personally, I love the look of the RSI. The shape of the RSI is quite sleek with the chin coming to an angular point and contour lines that sweep to the rear. What you won't find on the RSI are plastic spoilers or other doo-dads protruding from the helmet. The overall effect of the angular lines and sleek profile combine to make the RSI look quite 'racey'.

Shark has some really stricking paint designs for the RSI as well. I managed to pick up an RSI in the Regis Laconi paint scheme. It is hard to photograph the awesomeness of this design. The white is sort of a pearl white color with a faint silvery background pattern. Some of the black areas are metal flake, further helping to make this a standout color scheme. The paint and graphics are near flawless in execution and beautifully done.

I took some pictures of the helmet in the office this morning. But with the crappy flourescent lighting and mediocre camera, they really don't do the helmet justice.

100_0589.jpg

100_0590.jpg

100_0591.jpg

100_0592.jpg

100_0593.jpg

100_0593.jpg

Noise: I think the lack of multiple vent switches and spoilers helps to keep the noise levels down on the RSI. Riding on my VFR, with earplugs of course, I noticed a distinct lack of high frequency whistling sounds, something I had grown accustomed too with the EXO. I still got some low frequency wind noise, but it was certainly not bad at all.

On the naked SV650, things get even quieter as the amount of low frequency sound is reduced drastically.

I did notice the RSI had a tendency to lift a bit once speeds on the SV approached 75mph. I never noticed this issue while riding the VFR. The helmet does very well while doing shoulder checks on either bike.

Miscellaneous: The Shark RSI comes in an average helmet bag and includes a removeable breath guard and chin curtain. The chin strap uses the typical double D ring and the free end of the strap is tucked under a plastic holder. While I prefer a snap to secure the excess chin strap, this system appears to work well, its just a bit cumbersome.

Edited to add that the RSI is DOT and ECE 22-05 certified.

Also, while the RSI typically retails for around $300 and up, I scored my helmet for $170 from www.Motorcyclecloseouts.com.

Verdict: I am very pleased with the Shark RSI. It is clearly a better quality helmet than what I have owned in the past. Paint quality, liner materials, and vent switch operation are all top notch. I hope to spend many happy miles with this helmet.

:dry: :goofy: :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Good review. I have my eye on a RWB Foggy replica and have wanted a review on a Shark helmet. Thanks, JD

Good review. I have my eye on a RWB Foggy replica and have wanted a review on a Shark helmet. Thanks, JD

i've had a couple of shark helmets. they're quality. i honestly think they're one of the best helmets to have on, in the case of a crash. the other features are more subjective, but they probably have a line of helmet that meets the requirements of a given rider, and the impact quality is in all of them.

Archived