Rear Shock Swap

Bad Boy

I recently acquired a low mileage rear shock from an ABS model to replace the 75k mile shock on my 02 VFR. The shock was low on oil in the preload adjuster. I fixed that, see thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=49061&hl=

I just looked at the shop manual for the shock swap. :angry: Swapping a non ABS shock out looks like a cinch. Installing an ABS shock involves disassembling much of the rear end of the bike to get the adjuster routed. (muffler, exhaust system, rear fender A and B, rear cowl) I love riding this bike but what a PITA it is to work on.

My guess is the take off shock I acquired was low on adjustment oil because the hose was disconnected from the adjuster to remove it without all this major disassembling of the rear end of the bike.

Since I learned how to refill this pre-load adjuster oil my thinking is take a short cut, disconnecting the adjuster from the hose so I can route the hose without this major disassembly, refill, and reconnect hose.

What do you all think, is there any other way to install this shock adjuster without major disassembly?

Is there a better way to do this I am missing here?

You will be very glad to know that I have done this successfully without removing anything at all that I didn't remove to get the original off. I don't recall any great drama or difficulty except for a lack of space, but if you're patient you'll work it out. I can guarantee it's doable because I am now enjoying the ease of remote prelaod adjustment... they should offer this on all new VFRs not just the ABS models... use your noggin and you'll figure it out... (you'll notice in the little plastic sidecover where the rear brake fluid reservoir is, that the sidecover has a shallow funneling molded into it to route the hydraulic hose for the remote adjuster (in the rearward portion of the sidecover).

I really don't recall any major obstacles, but it is possible that I had to force it through some tight gap... should have taken pictures and documented it...

You will be very glad to know that I have done this successfully without removing anything at all that I didn't remove to get the original off. I don't recall any great drama or difficulty except for a lack of space, but if you're patient you'll work it out. I can guarantee it's doable because I am now enjoying the ease of remote prelaod adjustment... they should offer this on all new VFRs not just the ABS models... use your noggin and you'll figure it out... (you'll notice in the little plastic sidecover where the rear brake fluid reservoir is, that the sidecover has a shallow funneling molded into it to route the hydraulic hose for the remote adjuster (in the rearward portion of the sidecover).

I really don't recall any major obstacles, but it is possible that I had to force it through some tight gap... should have taken pictures and documented it...

You are right I am glad to know this and glad I asked. The shop manual shows ridiculous hours of parts removal for this procedure. I looked at that side cover today and saw the slots in the cover and rear fairing. I just could not visualize getting the adjuster and hose from the shock up to that point. I will give it a try. Thanks.

Any clues on how to route the hose would be appreciated.

Last night I did the shock swap and it went very well. I did not have to remove the exhaust or rear fender for which I am grateful. I did remove the dog bone shock linkage to get the shock out that was not called for in the manual but easy to do. After removing the adjuster knob fishing the adjuster through the fender was a snap. Fresh shock with easy adjustment just like that.

Archived