Can Removing 6th Gen Exhaust Be That Easy?

Guest jambie

Guest jambie

While impatiently waiting for my Staintunes, I tried to see what's involved in removing the stock exhaust, and the only fasteners I could see were where the pipe bolts up just aft of the cat, and the long bolts on either side of the seat that my Givi rack also uses for mounting. Is that it? I don't want to jinx myself, but if I remove the rear tire, it all looks rather too easy...

I did a search but didn't find any detailed instructions on removing 6th gen exhaust. If there are any tips or gotchas, I'd sure like to hear about them :fing02:

Cheers,

Tom

Hmmmm...I don't see any connection between the exhaust and the license plate/mud flap assembly. Did it change for the '06 model?

It's just easier to pull the OEM exhaust off and put whatever you're going to on with the flap and liscnce plate out of the way. As you probably have already noticed the OEM exhaust is one solid piece so it is rather cumbersome to maneuver. Also may want to remove the rear wheel as well...

Hmmmm...I don't see any connection between the exhaust and the license plate/mud flap assembly. Did it change for the '06 model?

It's just easier to pull the OEM exhaust off and put whatever you're going to on with the flap and liscnce plate out of the way. As you probably have already noticed the OEM exhaust is one solid piece so it is rather cumbersome to maneuver. Also may want to remove the rear wheel as well...

Yep, you're right Todd. I forgot about taking the wheel off.

Yup, taking off the flap thingy makes it way easier, otherwise you dont have enough room to pull the assembly backwards so it'll let go from the pipe down bottom. It really is pretty easy though. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Yup, taking off the flap thingy makes it way easier, otherwise you dont have enough room to pull the assembly backwards so it'll let go from the pipe down bottom. It really is pretty easy though. :fing02:

:fing02: Installed Staintunes last month. Take flap thingy off ....it's easier that way. Afterwards, once all bolted back together, sit back and enjoy the tunes smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Removing the rear wheel is totally unnecessary to remove the exhaust. I have a stock set and a gutted stock set that I swap on a regular basis and I never take the wheel off. I do remove the rear fender, but if you feel that removing the wheel makes it easier for you, than by all means...

• Member Contributer

I did not remove the rear wheel or the license plate. It was easy and quick, just drop exhaust, twist and pull out...man its so very heavy, I am glad I lost my oem heavy stuff, easier than me joining Jenny Craig.

• Member Contributer
Yup, taking off the flap thingy makes it way easier, otherwise you dont have enough room to pull the assembly backwards so it'll let go from the pipe down bottom. It really is pretty easy though. :rolleyes:

+1.gif Installed Staintunes last month. Take flap thingy off ....it's easier that way. Afterwards, once all bolted back together, sit back and enjoy the tunes smile.gif

Now that open exhaust sound rocks. I mean that gets your blood boiling. Is there a company that comes close to that sound? That will easily add 50 mph to your top speed! wink.gif Thanks, JD

• Member Contributer

FWIW I didn't remove the flappy thing.. I did however take my plate off so I wouldn't bend that to hell. I was able to get the stocker of w/ just a little bit of muscle. It will contort the flap a little bit but it's plastic so it just goes right back to normal.

Love my tunes. Sometimes when I'm at work I go out and just turn the bike on to listen them :fing02:

Archived