Fi Blinks With Signals

Guest DotW

I'm at a loss here...

When running at 180F+, the FI light starts to blink in time with the turn signal. It's stronger with the right than the left and also, the hotter the bike gets, the stronger the flash. (It's dim when cooler). Higher RPMs also strengthen the light. Fan and cooling systems are operating normally - kicking in just over 210F.

Jumping the service check connector yields nothing.

I've torn down the front end in search of shorts, but am coming up empty handed.

Has this happened to anyone else? :biggrin:

~Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Not sure if this is a help but it is a very common problem with the 99/00 Blackbirds due to corrosion in the wire loom. It is a square electrical testing block for the factory. On my 99 VFR it is located forward of the R/R under electrical tape. I did do some cleaning on mine just to make sure. Like I said not sure if it is your issue but it is worth a shot.

There was a recent discussion with similar (sort of) symptoms in another forum here, I'm trying to remember which one. It involved a bad ground in the harness in the left front of the bike, big blue connector, it was a gen 6 bike but maybe the harnesses are similar in this area.

I'll try to find that thread again and get back to ya.

It sounds like a bad ground to me, especially because it gets worse with temperature. I would start by checking all your battery and computer grounds. Voltage drop them if in question. A wiring diagram should tell you where say the computer grounds are located. And I think you can get any of the diagrams off of this website if needed.

Thanks all for your suggestions...

I'm going to tear back into the wiring today and in response to the earlier pun, I'll see if I can get to the long and "short" of it.

-Dot

Archived