The Thompson Loop, Bc W. Pix Of Course

• Member Contributer

P8060001.jpg

Oh my, alone again. . . do you see a pattern here? 6 roads in the DH book, 4 new ones, all in all, a great day.

I've the road from Boston Bar to Lillooet so many times now that it has become a threshold more than an enjoyment. Hwy 12 (aka dh40) is quite rough and has a tremendous amount of gravel and rock on the road. Still nice, but I could live without doing it to get to my destination, while I used to think it was a great road. Things change.

The road from Lillooet to Cache creek (Hwy99) was a beautiful road with nice sweepers covered by an amazingly smooth pavement. The scenery is changing from the sheered rock (see picture below) to lusher green with two stunning turquoise lakes.

P8060002.jpg

I really enjoyed this road. They ranked it DH21, and I can only agree.

Then I got to Ashcroft and a nice road with a few sweepers. Nothing great, nothing bad just a pleasant route to bring me back towards civilisation. The weirdest thing was the lakes near Logan Lake just by the coper mines. It looked like salt, but I can't say what it was. I'll let you be the Judge.

P8060003.jpg

Once in Logan Lake, I really needed to get gas. See for yourself.

I still had .8 litter left.

P8060004.jpg

Almost 400km. Almost!

P8060005.jpg

After a burger and a beer in Merritt, I tried that little jewel: Coldwater Rd - aka DH19. If you ever get caught using the Coquihalla, you owe it to yourself to ride this one. The only problem with this road is that it is only 30 km in length. The pavement is smooth and the sweepers are lovely and it becomes clear that whatever rhythm you want to have, you'll have your wish granted.

Just before rejoining the dreadful Hwy5, I went to rest in the water of the Coldwater River, which was anything but.

P8060009.jpg

P8060010.jpg

And what would be a trip without a snake.

P8060007.jpg

P8060008.jpg

In total, 650 + km and I can tell you that I'm ready for the Nelson trip. This last trip really help me getting back into shape.

Archived