H7 Upper Beam Bulbs

Guest Pete McCrary

Guest Pete McCrary

Has anyone tried upgrading the high beams on a 6th Gen with better bulbs? I found out after purchasing a pair of Osram H7 that (as usual) Honda uses some sort of proprietary bulb for their version of H7's. The wire plugs are different and the bases are much thicker with a plastic boss.

Updated one hour later.

Just call me Forrest - Forrest Gump. I checked the shop manual and those little black hickies on the back of the bulbs come off and the bulbs plug into them. Somedays it's hard to believe I'm a Professional Engineer for a living and have two college degrees.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Edited due to attempting project before reading instructions.

Has anyone tried upgrading the high beams on a 6th Gen with better bulbs? I found out after purchasing a pair of Osram H7 that (as usual) Honda uses some sort of proprietary bulb for their version of H7's. The wire plugs are different and the bases are much thicker with a plastic boss.

Updated one hour later.

Just call me Forrest - Forrest Gump. I checked the shop manual and those little black hickies on the back of the bulbs come off and the bulbs plug into them. Somedays it's hard to believe I'm a Professional Engineer for a living and have two college degrees.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Edited due to attempting project before reading instructions.

Oh man........... that's like a bank robber shooting himself in the foot to slow down his getaway... :goofy:

Or, 'I dropped my VFR and I don't know why!" tongue.gif

And I thought I had the 'Meathead Market' cornered... :blink: :blush:

For what it's worth, once I figured out the black bases with the two electrical connectors are what the H7's plug into, I got them all installed with a new set of H4's (also Osram's). Lot's of light. Nice and clean and very white.

One thing interesting about the H4's, on the '02 VFR is will accept the standard H4 bulb without any modification. The bulbs just drop right into place with not special adapter rings, grinding of tabs, or bending of tabs.

Archived