Corbin Seat On A Silver 2001

Guest Larry1967

Guest Larry1967

Question for all you experts...

I have a 2001 Silver VFR and I am looking at purchasing a Corbin Seat. I found one the other day, brand new never used and they were asking $515.00 :huh: I asked the guy at the store if I could try it on my bike he said if it fits I will sell it for $250.00 taxes included. That is a steal I think there two problems, there is no Corbin patch on top of the passenager backrest and the piping on the seat is red +1.gif . Does anybody know if the piping can be dyed and if the corbin patch can be purchased.

I placed the seat on the bike and took it around the block, not too bad felt pretty good. Do you guys think that the red piping would look ok? It actually gave the bike alittle character when I put it on, it matched the red spring...I was thinking if I purchase the seat I would put the red pin stripes on the rims aswell...

Let me know what you guys think? :biggrin:

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The red piping may look a little out of place, but the price is right. :beer:

This is what I got from a guy when I asked the same thing. I've never tried it though, so do at your own risk.

"You can "paint" the welt black or silver (whichever you prefer).

Get to an auto-paint supplier (check your local Yellow Pages). Not a Pep Boys, and find a product called Bulldog Adhesion Promoter. It comes in a spray can, looks like spray paint. This is a clear primer for vinyl and plastic. You will also want to pick up "vinyl paint", also in a spray can). They should have a range of colors to choose from.

Prep the piping according to the instructions, I usually just wipe it down with a clean rag and rubbing alcohol. Mask off the seat as carefully as you can. By flexing the bead back you can get masking tape beneath it right up to the joint.

Once the rest is completely masked, prime it with Bulldog, make sure to follow the directions as to how to coat it (I think they recommend multiple thin coats). Let the primer cure overnight, and spray the vinyl paint the next day. Again, let it cure a full day before using it, even though it gets dry to the touch pretty quickly.

I did this to cover the red piping on a Corbin seat I bought second-hand, as my VFR is all black. Nobody can tell that it was ever red, and despite heavy use (30k + miles last year) there is no sign of wear on the bead where I painted it."

Archived