6th Gen Carbon Frame Protector

Guest SOTY

Guest SOTY

Hi, I put a post in the 6th gen forums about this, but nothing really came outta it.

I'm trying to find a part that is a carbon fiber cover for both the left/right side frame(visible underneath the gas tank and above the fairings):

gallery_13834_3819_73224.jpg

I haven't been able to find anything whatsoever. Something similar to this (VFR400 possibly fake carbon?):

UDO8.gif

I went out and bought some Carbon Fiber Mesh as well as cleartype carbon gloss finish Epoxy(Enough for both sides).

Making It???

First Approach:

1 person tells me to first wrap the frame in a layer of special plastic film that won't bond with the Epoxy (Got that), and then put down a layer of Epoxy on top of that, and then put down the carbon fiber(cut to pattern), and then gloss over with a few coats of Epoxy and hold in place until it dries.

Though after looking closely at the frame contours and design, I decided that this way would be very very difficult and I'd probably end up with a sloppy outcome.

Second Approach:

I was thinking then at this point to remove the fairings, lift the tank, and then make a MOLD of the frame (using some sort of setting putty). THEN, make the carbon cover by using the mold.

I was wondering if anyone has dabbled in making stuff like this, that might like to share some of their insights on the best way about making what I'm trying to make.

Your advice really appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, I put a post in the 6th gen forums about this, but nothing really came outta it.

I'm trying to find a part that is a carbon fiber cover for both the left/right side frame(visible underneath the gas tank and above the fairings):

gallery_13834_3819_73224.jpg

I haven't been able to find anything whatsoever. Something similar to this (VFR400 possibly fake carbon?):

UDO8.gif

I went out and bought some Carbon Fiber Mesh as well as cleartype carbon gloss finish Epoxy(Enough for both sides).

Making It???

First Approach:

1 person tells me to first wrap the frame in a layer of special plastic film that won't bond with the Epoxy (Got that), and then put down a layer of Epoxy on top of that, and then put down the carbon fiber(cut to pattern), and then gloss over with a few coats of Epoxy and hold in place until it dries.

Though after looking closely at the frame contours and design, I decided that this way would be very very difficult and I'd probably end up with a sloppy outcome.

Second Approach:

I was thinking then at this point to remove the fairings, lift the tank, and then make a MOLD of the frame (using some sort of setting putty). THEN, make the carbon cover by using the mold.

I was wondering if anyone has dabbled in making stuff like this, that might like to share some of their insights on the best way about making what I'm trying to make.

Your advice really appreciated. Thanks!

It sounds like you want to change the color of the frame, right? If so, why not just pull it and powder coat it. If not, why not just add frame sliders for protection? If you figure out a way to make a cover for it, I would be very interested.

Archived