Need Windscreen Mod Help

wooly72

Question

• Member Contributer

Hello everybody. Having another run of bad weather here in Iowa, so I've been thinking of some new mods.

I want to modify my stock windscreen (I have a smoke DB zero gravity on her right now) to be able to put either on depending on what kind of ride I'm taking.

For my mod, I want to cut my stock windscreen across the top to be lower. (even with the top-most sections of the windscreen placement).

I have a rotary tool (cutter/grinder) that I could use to cut this after I measure and mark my line. Do you think this would work to cut a windscreen? Not exactly sure what else I could use for this.

I then want to paint the screen black. Again, not sure if this will work or how it will look when finished. Just trying to picture it in my mind.

And to finish it, I would like to find some kind of liner to go across the top edge of the windscreen, but I'm not sure where to find one or what I could use.

I know there are a lot of great minds here on this site who may have a few ideas to throw in, so pleas chime in with any thoughts you might have. Would really appreciate some input before starting this mod.

4 answers to this question

I'm going to do the same thing with my stock screen. Not sure yet what to cut it with, but I know motosport.com has LOCKHART PHILLIPS Windscreen trim. It's $4.99 - $6.99 for 35"

• Member Contributer
Hello everybody. Having another run of bad weather here in Iowa, so I've been thinking of some new mods.

I want to modify my stock windscreen (I have a smoke DB zero gravity on her right now) to be able to put either on depending on what kind of ride I'm taking.

For my mod, I want to cut my stock windscreen across the top to be lower. (even with the top-most sections of the windscreen placement).

I have a rotary tool (cutter/grinder) that I could use to cut this after I measure and mark my line. Do you think this would work to cut a windscreen? Not exactly sure what else I could use for this.

NO. It can easily get away from you, if your hand isn't super steady. A jigsaw or bandsaw works great. Use 2-3 layers of masking tape to protect the cutting area. Sebspeed had a wright-up around here, not sure if it still exists.

I then want to paint the screen black. Again, not sure if this will work or how it will look when finished. Just trying to picture it in my mind.

Paint it on the underside.

And to finish it, I would like to find some kind of liner to go across the top edge of the windscreen, but I'm not sure where to find one or what I could use.

Truck door trim will work, too.

I know there are a lot of great minds here on this site who may have a few ideas to throw in, so pleas chime in with any thoughts you might have. Would really appreciate some input before starting this mod.

gallery_2922_2278_663836.jpg

100_4188.JPG

100_2942.jpg

• Member Contributer
I'm going to do the same thing with my stock screen. Not sure yet what to cut it with, but I know motosport.com has LOCKHART PHILLIPS Windscreen trim. It's $4.99 - $6.99 for 35"

Great. Thanks for the info.

• Member Contributer

Rivcyko - Thanks for the advice. Never thought about the masking tape trick. I was a little hesitant about using the rotary cutter because of it getting away from me too. It's happened before when cutting or grinding things with it.

I was wondering if I had to paint both sides or not. Now I know. Thanks.

Archived