Electrical Issue 5th Gen

backonabike

• Member Contributer

Hi Guys, I have a couple of questions. First of all does anyone know if this problem is also happening on 5th gens ( I know that it is probably not covered by Honda but I'd like to know.). Also does anyone know if Honda sells the wiring harness that connects the R/R to the Stator? I had a motorcycle tech tell me that he thought Honda made this harness and sold it through the dealer. The reason I ask is that my harness melted at the connection so I checked the R/R and the Stator and all came back ok. I was also told by the same tech that the reason that the connector melted was caused from resistance from dirt and not having dielectric grease packed into the connector. So I cut the connector out and hard wired it for now, and it seems to work well, I have a couple of thousand miles on this fix. Thanks sorry for rambling but I really don't want my bike to catch on fire.

Sounds like you are good to go if all the numbers show within spec after your repair. It's fine to hard wire it like you did and yes Honda sells anything you need on the 5th gen plus a guy here makes many harness repair pieces for the 5th & 6th gens.

I'll add his name when I find it! :thumbsup:

His name is Tightwad.

Hi Guys, I have a couple of questions. First of all does anyone know if this problem is also happening on 5th gens ( I know that it is probably not covered by Honda but I'd like to know.). Also does anyone know if Honda sells the wiring harness that connects the R/R to the Stator? I had a motorcycle tech tell me that he thought Honda made this harness and sold it through the dealer. The reason I ask is that my harness melted at the connection so I checked the R/R and the Stator and all came back ok. I was also told by the same tech that the reason that the connector melted was caused from resistance from dirt and not having dielectric grease packed into the connector. So I cut the connector out and hard wired it for now, and it seems to work well, I have a couple of thousand miles on this fix. Thanks sorry for rambling but I really don't want my bike to catch on fire.

sounds like you were reading the 5th generation my bike caught fire thread... :goofy:

Archived