Flywheel Removal '04 Vtec

Guest Honda man

Guest Honda man

The stator of my '04 VFR is fried.

I got a second-hand stator of a '02 vtec, but that one has a smaller diameter.

So I need to replace the flywheel as well.

I tried to pull the flywheel off with a universal puller but that didn't work.

So I'm looking for a flywheel puller, only problem is I don't know which one I need.

10003949_52_53_910.jpg

Does anyone know what the thread size is on the inside of the flywheel's center.

It could be M26x1.5 or M27x1, who knows?

• Member Contributer
The stator of my '04 VFR is fried.

I got a second-hand stator of a '02 vtec, but that one has a smaller diameter.

So I need to replace the flywheel as well.

I tried to pull the flywheel off with a universal puller but that didn't work.

So I'm looking for a flywheel puller, only problem is I don't know which one I need.

10003949_52_53_910.jpg

Does anyone know what the thread size is on the inside of the flywheel's center.

It could be M26x1.5 or M27x1, who knows?

This information may not be very useful to you, but it might help. That is to say, I wish I couldl tell you it is "Xmm."

I just went through this on my bike, which is an '89 VFR750FK(RC24). On my bike, it is 20mm. I ordered the wrong size puller, not once, but twice from MotionPro. Knowing what I know now, I realize that, using inside diameter calipers, I could have determined the size by measuring the inside diameter (ID) of the threaded hole in the rotor/flywheel, and add about 1mm to 1.5mm to that measurement. Why add 1mm to 1.5mm? Well, that additional amount will account for the thread depth. That should get you there.

For whatever it is worth, by the time you replace the rotor, simply in order to accomodate a used stator coil from another bike, I humbly suggest that you'd be much better off by purchasing a new, correct stator coil for your bike. They're not that expensive and then the charging system will be doing what it is designed to do; putting-out the current intended. I got mine at http://www.regulatorrectifier.com

By the way, if you determine that it is 22mm that you need, I have a brand new, never-used MotionPro 22mm rotor puller, that I'll never use. So, I'd be willing to send that for, say, 20% less than I paid for it (don't recall at the moment) plus, say, $5.00 shipping/handling. But, again, I strongly suggest that you purchase a new, correct-for-your-bike stator coil.

rctwentyfour

• 1 year later...

Did you ever figure out what size puller you needed? I'm in the same situation with my '02 VFR (which had the stator recall performed by the previous owner, but still needs a new stator).

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Quick Question:

Why are you guys pulling the rotor off to replace the stator? The stator is attached via a few bolds on the Cover that you pulled off (all of those wires)...

The rotor is producing the magnetic field and shouldn't be dead unless something else happened i don't understand. The wires on the other hand are usually the problem as they will melt/short/become "open".

Just curious...

Archived