Fitting Frame Sliders

Guest Colorado

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CoolsNews

Good luck Larry, it takes a brave man to go cutting holes into his motorcycle?

Notice I said brave man and not stupid man for I have been contemplating on doing it myself, just have to build up the courage and I have to make sure everything is in the right place on a 02 :P

Let us know how it goes.

Guest RedFlyer

OK, second try. ?The first post I made on this topic went out into space somewhere. Who ever got it, I'm sorry. ?I'm slowly getting all this figured out, however, and feel that soon I'll be doing much much better.

Frame Sliders:

Are they actually available for the '02? ?And if so, what type and from whom?

As a side comment/question (I'm looking for opinions here), I was recently talking to a mechanic friend of mine who expressed an opinion, to whit: considering the cost of the sliders, the time to install them, the potential damgage to the fairings cutting them initially, the potential future damage to the fairings if they crack due to the induced stresses of the holes, the damage that might be sustained if you actually drop it (either with or without the sliders), and finally the replacement cost of the fairings themselves, that they may not be such a great idea. ?This all confused me greatly, as I had previously thought they were an absolute necessity.

I would appreciate any thoughts that any of you might have on the topic.

Thanks.

Guest Colorado

Hey RedFlyer:

Are they available for the 02?  DOn't know. Go to http://www.performancemotorcycleparts.com and look at "Crash Bobbins."  (Cool site to visit in any event).

Are they an absolute necessity? Nope, lots of bikes don't have them and get along just fine.

Will they prevent damage? I've seen lots of bikes whose only damage was ground-down sliders. And where they fit on a VFR is right where the bodywork tends to get messed-up in a lowside crash.

Damage from cutting them in?  Go to http://www.inturace.com/default.htm for a step-by-step guide to installing them, using Play Do!

Good luck, Larry

• 6 months later...
Guest Colorado
It's not the sliders, but the fact that you have to either replace or drill the coolant overflow tank. If my bike were to overheat or something, I'd be worried that the dealer would try to get out of fixing it. Larry

• Forum CEO

From what I read about the moko sliders the overflow tank max coolant line is well below where it is drilled, do they not provide a smaller tank, I thought they did. ?I have seen one that was modified with a piece of PVC tube where the sliders go. That was a good 2" above the max coolant line.  It is just an overflow tank anyway, I dont see how they can claim it is the cause of any problem if there is coolant there.

Dscf0084.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

Guest Colorado
Yep, I bought the little tank, but I've been waiting for an oem tank to come up on ebay to do that hole-through mod.  Then, around 3/11, I'll be installing the Mokos - unless you're itching to do something?  Larry

• 2 years later...
Guest SR20DET
<font color='#000000'>They're about $145 with the small tank and shipping from Europe. figure about $1.65 per GBP, and shipping is higher than you expect. Larry</font>

I've had these sliders laying around forever about to try and tackle this project.

Does anyone have a pic of exactly where the slider on the "brake side" mounts ?