Will A Fuel Pressure Regulator Help?

gradus

Question

• Member Contributer

My 2005 VFR runs lean just like everyone else. But I recently gutted my exhaust and think it's worse now. Instead of just smelling lean, it almost smells like I'm slowly burning the valves. A buddy recommended running a higher octane for now, which made most of the smell go away immediately.

I don't have $300 for a Power Commander, but $100 for a fuel pressure regulator isn't a problem. I don't have any issues with the engine being smooth, so I think spending more on a Power Commander isn't needed.

Also would the FPR help the bike run a little cooler? I hit over 220F on every ride at stop lights. I've gotten used to it, it hasn't caused problems and I frequently run higher RPMs.

Any thoughts?

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
You might want to try the other free/cheap mods too like O2 eliminators, flapper valve mod, desnorkelling and PAIR removal.

These are all great tips!! I did the Turbocity Tom Fuel Pressure Regulator 15,000 miles ago and it made a world of difference on my 03'. At the same time, I did the starter valve sync, desnorkelled, Pair removal and the flapper valve mod. After the mods, my bike seemed much smoother, the hesitation between 4-5k was 99% gone.

Looking back, I wish I had done them one at a time to really see where the big advantages came from, but it was winter and I did it all at once. I run a gutted exhaust about half the time and it definately helped my bike out.

I sent you a PM, I am going to be selling my FPR because I just recently purchased a power commander and am going to return to the stock FPR.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer
You might want to try the other free/cheap mods too like O2 eliminators, flapper valve mod, desnorkelling and PAIR removal.

I've already done the O2 eliminator, which smoothed out all hesitation problems. So the bike is running great and I only need to richen fuel mixture. Will the flapper, desnorkelling and PAIR removal help with the lean condition?

I've already done the O2 eliminator, which smoothed out all hesitation problems. So the bike is running great and I only need to richen fuel mixture. Will the flapper, desnorkelling and PAIR removal help with the lean condition?

No. Flapper and snorkel are for EPA noise regs. Don't need them really.

PAIR removal improves exhaust gas scavenging by eliminating the fresh air injection into the exhaust system.

PAIR was intended to promote the elimination of unburned hydrocarbons by introducing fresh air into the exhaust. Same thing as an air pump on a car.

You can combine the PAIR removal with the crankcase vent like race teams do to lower the crankcase pressure and free up fractional horsepower. Uses the negative pulse waves from the exhaust through the PAIR reed valves to pull down the crankcase pressure.

Simply yank all the PAIR crap, place on shelf, tee the crankcase breather vent hose into the PAIR reed valve hoses (one on each cylinder head) and Bob's your uncle.

Don't forget to plug the leftover airbox hose holes afterwards or you'll be drawing in unfiltered air.

Archived