Electronics Gurus, I Need Your Help!

flyguyeddy

alright, im running a non-factory tail light with my bike (3rd gen with 900rr tail/bodywork)

i bought a clear alternatives taillight with led lights in it off of ebay for a nice price and figured, hell, ill just go get a trailer light converter to make it blink. wrong.

i wired it up and the brake/turn signal output wires only put out 9v or so. it does NOT light the high/bright side when hooked up.

now, i was thinking about wiring in som transistors and using the outputs to turn them on, but at that point, i might as well make something that would work for what i need and not have extra bulky parts.

i was thinking of using some fets to turn OFF the power to the highs when the tirn signal is applied. i cant remember what i need to use tho. its been a while since i've had electronics.

basically, i dont need a heavy current handling capabilities just whatever a normal led replacement bulb will take.

can u help me out?

• Member Contributer
alright, im running a non-factory tail light with my bike (3rd gen with 900rr tail/bodywork)

i bought a clear alternatives taillight with led lights in it off of ebay for a nice price and figured, hell, ill just go get a trailer light converter to make it blink. wrong.

i wired it up and the brake/turn signal output wires only put out 9v or so. it does NOT light the high/bright side when hooked up.

You lost me there. Why would you need a trailer converter? Does your new taillight not have separate LEDs for turn signals, so you are trying to wire it the "american way" (same bulbs for brakes and blinkers)? Got any pictures and/or schematics of your taillight?

You lost me there. Why would you need a trailer converter? Does your new taillight not have separate LEDs for turn signals, so you are trying to wire it the "american way" (same bulbs for brakes and blinkers)? Got any pictures and/or schematics of your taillight?

yes im trying to do the brake/turn thing. basically i have a common ground, common "running light" line and the stop (brighter) one i have control of for each side.

basically a ghetto "integrated taillight" kinda thing

• Member Contributer
yes im trying to do the brake/turn thing. basically i have a common ground, common "running light" line and the stop (brighter) one i have control of for each side.

As I understand, a trailer light converter should work. Although I'm not really familiar with those; are there special ones for use with LED lights? Have you tried connecting regular incadescent bulbs to your converter?

i have not tried to connect standard bulbs to my converter. i would think that at 9 volts they would light just fine in a standard situation.

i cant imagine why the converter would clip the voltage so low, but im sure that it has something to do with the internal parts cutting voltage through transistors and whatnot.

i cant imagine why the led wont lite at that voltage, but they certainly DO light at 12 volts.

Archived