Fork Spring And Preload Spacer Length: What Are U Using?

flyguyeddy

i am putting my forks back together and i need some info.

i am running some .90 springs of unknown origin and are probably not the same length as what would go in my bike.

how long are your upgraded springs and preload spacers? im looking for 3rd/4th gen people here just in case the newer stuff is way different.

btw im running superhawk fork internals with a preload adjuster, so im probably only looking for 4th gen people here haha

• 2 weeks later...
i am putting my forks back together and i need some info.

i am running some .90 springs of unknown origin and are probably not the same length as what would go in my bike.

how long are your upgraded springs and preload spacers? im looking for 3rd/4th gen people here just in case the newer stuff is way different.

btw im running superhawk fork internals with a preload adjuster, so im probably only looking for 4th gen people here haha

If it were me I would cut the spacer long enough so I would have 5 mm of preload with the preload adjuster wound all the way out. Chances are you will end up having to turn the preload adjuster in anyways to ge the proper sag. This is what I did with my 5th gen and I ended up turning the preload adjuster in 12mm to get proper static sag. So 5mm + 12mm = 17mm. My springs are race tech 1.0's so that has alot to do with it. You may want to cut the spacer so you have 15mm of preload to start. Just a thought.

• Member Contributer

If a 0.90 is appropriate for your weight, 15mm is probably a good starting point, with the preload adjuster near the middle of it's range. I think that agrees with R_Cote's recommendation. Fortunately it's real easy to change spacers with conventional (not USD) forks.

• Member Contributer
i thought that front sag was supposed to be 35mm? is this incorrect?

30-35mm of total sag is about right, with the rider aboard. That's not the same as the preload measurement, though, which is the amount that the spring is compressed from it's free length (fork cap off) with the fork topped out. With the correct spring rate, your total sag should be in the ballpark if you cut your spacers to give 15mm of spring preload.

Archived