2001 Vfr: Bike Won't Start - F1 Light Stays On.

Guest bavfrrider

Guest bavfrrider

I have been out of town for 2 weeks, I wear my gear and start the bike this morning to head to work. The damn thing won't start. The F1 light was continously on. I turned off the ignition switch and retired, and repeated the cycle a couple of times - no avail. Only once did the F1 light go away.

I'm a DIY kind of guy, haven't touched the electrials on this bike (never had a RR problem) expect to replace the PCII (which I removed a year back).

The VFR is my commute mule and weekend rider - prior to going to on vacation, on my way to work the F1 light did come on while riding, I pulled out turned off the ignition and restarted the light would go off.

I have a 4 day ride coming up on Tuesday (9/20), I need to get the bike roadworthy for the trip.

I'm going to look at the connectors, RR and ECU connnectors and such when I get back home. Anything else I can look at?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

First thing to check, kill switch. (my bet)

Next, do you hear the fuel pump priming?

Does the starter turn the engine over?

Download the service manual from the download section on this site, and then use it to read the stored FI codes.

First thing to check, kill switch. (my bet)

Next, do you hear the fuel pump priming?

Does the starter turn the engine over?

Download the service manual from the download section on this site, and then use it to read the stored FI codes.

I will check the kill switch. The fuel pump did prim and the engine also cranked.

• Member Contributer
I will check the kill switch. The fuel pump did prim and the engine also cranked.

In that case, start with the service manual and reading the FI codes. If it were the kill switch the fuel pump would not prime and the starter would not turn.

In that case, start with the service manual and reading the FI codes. If it were the kill switch the fuel pump would not prime and the starter would not turn.

I have apolgize, I was wrong when I stated the fuel pump primed. Now I remember it did not this morning, I just got home early to work on this, and attempted to start her again. Key on in the ignition the fuel pump did not prim, the engine cranks though. Blown fuse?

Meanwhile I will go look for the shop manual I have and see if I can pull out any codes.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have apolgize, I was wrong when I stated the fuel pump primed. Now I remember it did not this morning, I just got home early to work on this, and attempted to start her again. Key on in the ignition the fuel pump did not prim, the engine cranks though. Blown fuse?

Meanwhile I will go look for the shop manual I have and see if I can pull out any codes.

Thanks again.

Just an update. It turned out to be a loose fuel pump relay connector.

Archived