Help Please, Bike Slowly Died And Won't Restart

Guest vrecksler

Guest vrecksler

OK, so my brother was riding my 93 VFR 750 this afternoon and had a small issue. A couple hours into his ride when he was passing a few times the bike felt like it was losing power...not in the same way it feels when you run out of gas either. This feeling happened a couple times, and when he was at the half way point and time for a rest, the revs dropped and the bike just died.

I am posting here because I think it is likely electrical, and in my research before buying the VFR I had heard of rectifier/regulator issues and I was curious if someone with more knowledge could let me know if the above description matches some known problem. And if there is a temporary fix to get the bike home (it's about 4 hours out of town) it would save me a trip out with the truck.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated, and if you know of certain tests I can do as part of the diagnostics please post up. I figure I can use a multimeter (which I don't have but I can get) to check a few things but perhaps there is a simple way you can check for things on the road with just some bike smarts. smile.gif

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Erase my numbers and fill that chart out.

Lets get all the facts on the table.

Battery Voltage = 12.3v

Charging voltage at Idle = 13.2v

Charging voltage at 5k rpm = 12.1v and lower as time goes on.

Resistance between battery ground and frame ground = 0.1 ohm

Resistance between all 3 legs of the stator = 0.3 - 0.4 ohm

Continuity between all 3 legs and ground = none

AC voltage from stator (with rr Unpluged) at idle = 19.6v

AC voltage from stator (with rr unpluged) at 5k rpm = 65v

AC voltage from stator (with rr pluged in) at idle = 11.2v

AC voltage from stator (with rr pluged in) at 5k rpm = 4.2v

DC voltage at the battery side of the +/- rr Connector = Identical to battery voltage (Bike off = 12.3v / Bike running = 13.2v @ idle, 12.1v @ 5k rpm)

DC voltage at the RR side of the +/- RR connector (connector unpluged, measured directly across the red and green wire) at idle = 0.9v - 1.1v

DC voltage at the RR side of the +/- RR connector (connector unpluged, measured directly across the red and green wire) at 5k rpm = 0v - 0.1v

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds like what my 95 did a couple weeks ago. Was riding to a ballgame when I came to a stoplight, it died. Wouldn't restart so I got a ride to the game and left bike sit while I played. On the way home checked on it and it started right up. I rode it home and did some checking here.

I got the Electrosport flowchart to diagnose problems with electrical system. It showed R/R as the problem. I took the rear cowl off and the wiring to the R/R was partially melted and losing connection. The R/R itself tested bad so I got a new plug and R/R and rewired the plug . Then everything was great.

Yesterday I noticed the headlights fluctuating when revving so I checked the voltage and the R/R is bad again. Failed the diode test. The stator checks fine and the battery is still good (I'm guessing because I noticed it early). I contacted the company I bought it from and sent it back today to be replaced. They have a 1 year warranty. Honda wanted $221 for the R/R and no warranty. I got this one for $91 shipped.

The company is RM stator out of Canada. Great service dept. so far. www.rmstator.com Hope this helps.

Also the link for the flowchart is on the www.electex.com website. Good Luck!

Archived