Best Front Tire Ever?

Stéphane

• Member Contributer

Last year I bought a set of Bridgestone BT002 (type 3) race take offs for $75. While I was happy with the rear when warm, it did need a definite warm up before I could lean on and it lasted a mare 7 000km (4000 miles). I replaced it with a BT002RS, which have the same profile but more silica for the road use.

As for the front, it now has 11 000 km, with hardly any signs of wear, no cupping nor scalloping whatsoever. The tire is simply phenomenal. Never let me down, warms up very quickly and is so freaggin' stable. They say race take offs are no good for the street, but with little adjustments, I was able to have fun and a safe ride throughout its life. How? I had to ride in the rain a few times, which made me extremely nervous considering the reputation of race take-offs: they don't warm up in the rain. So one morning, I have to get to work, and it's raining. It downed on me that with low pressure, the tires tend to get warm. So I dropped the pressure to 25psi. When I got to work, the tire was warm and it never gave me any hints of letting go.

I am taking it off now, not because it's worn out, but because I saw some cracking on the sidewall.

Today, I just bought a new set of take offs for only $50. This is just before I begin my race course. Needless to say that the front will stay on after I am done.

Best front tire ever? Hands down for me.

SG

• Member Contributer
Lots of positive comments on Bridgestones lately.

Update: I didn't change it before the racing course and I am glad to say that it hooked flawlessly for the entire session. Now it's coming off, but just as a precaution.

Archived