Bent Forks

Guest rjamesbrown

Guest rjamesbrown

I recently just picked up an older 85 VF500 interceptor for $600. When I bought it I was under the impression that it just needed new fork seals... Upon taking the forks off the bike I found that the left one was very slightly bent. I took it to a local shop and the guy there unbent it for me. I have access to a machine shop and I went and checked the runout on both of them - 0.75 mm (0.030") on the left and 0.55 mm (0.022") on the right after I got the left back from the shop. I also noticed that on one of them it is almost imperceivably kinked right below where the lower triple clamp would go - it is a small enough kink that you definitely can't see it, but if you run your finger over it you can kind of feel it. My question is, basically, is this a useable amount of runout? And is the kink that big of a deal? The Clymer manual says the service limit is 0.2 mm. But I was unsure if they were being very conservative or something. I am new to motorcycling and this is my first bike, the guy at the shop told me that it would be fine, but it is my neck and I would just like a few other opinions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest rjamesbrown

by the way... by runout I mean I measured the maximum deflection, not sure if that is the correct term.

• Member Contributer

That's a hard one. I would, personally, do my best to either find a new set of forks for the VF500 (not likely to be in better condition), or find a replacement from another bike (far more likely). I'm sure there's somebody on this forum that might have some insight.

Guest rjamesbrown
That's a hard one. I would, personally, do my best to either find a new set of forks for the VF500 (not likely to be in better condition), or find a replacement from another bike (far more likely). I'm sure there's somebody on this forum that might have some insight.

Do you have any idea what other bikes have compatible forks? Also, what do you think of the safeness of my current forks? They slide in and out of the sliders without any binding, and that "kink" I was talking about is just barely detectable by feel.

• 1 month later...
by the way... by runout I mean I measured the maximum deflection, not sure if that is the correct term.

how do you measure runout on the forks? I may have bent forks but I cannot tell by just looking at it.

thanks,

erhan

• Member Contributer
I recently just picked up an older 85 VF500 interceptor for $600. When I bought it I was under the impression that it just needed new fork seals... Upon taking the forks off the bike I found that the left one was very slightly bent. I took it to a local shop and the guy there unbent it for me. I have access to a machine shop and I went and checked the runout on both of them - 0.75 mm (0.030") on the left and 0.55 mm (0.022") on the right after I got the left back from the shop. I also noticed that on one of them it is almost imperceivably kinked right below where the lower triple clamp would go - it is a small enough kink that you definitely can't see it, but if you run your finger over it you can kind of feel it. My question is, basically, is this a useable amount of runout? And is the kink that big of a deal? The Clymer manual says the service limit is 0.2 mm. But I was unsure if they were being very conservative or something. I am new to motorcycling and this is my first bike, the guy at the shop told me that it would be fine, but it is my neck and I would just like a few other opinions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is a place somewhere around Chicago I think. It is called Frank's forks or something like that. They do this kind of work.

I have heard good things about them for years.

Archived