2005 Front End Shake, Rattle And Roll

orgndnr

• Member Contributer

So today I'm riding trying my new "light on the bar" technique courtesy of Freddie's school, when I notice a front wheel vibration, which is worse when i take my hands off the bar. I have the OEM dunlops(new rear at 5000 thanks to PO) on the bike, with +- 7000km, so I presume the tire is toast, even though it looks fine, with deep tread etc. Is there anything else i should be looking for? I eagerly await your expert opinions!!

• Member Contributer

When I bought my 03 new last September, I noticed that if I let go of the bars they would wobble. As I put miles on those original Dunlops, the shake seemed to worsen sligtly. This shaking was not really noticable while riding the bike normally, only when I let go of the bars.

After 6300 miles I replaced that tire (don't remember which Dunlop model it was) with a D220 (also added a matching rear).

The shake is completely gone now.

I don't know if it was the new tire or the fact that my wheel was balanced upon installation, but the bike is smooth as glass when I let go of the bars now.

• Member Contributer

I will be putting on Pilot Powers next w/e for a track day at Pacific Raceways, hopefully that fixes it.

• Member Contributer

The bike comes with rim protectors, not tires. Get rid of the crap and put on some quality sport tyres.

When I had the 208 on the front my front end shook like mad. I now have the Qualifier, and all is smooth. It's a much better tire.

• Member Contributer

Have you run your hand over the tire?

If not, try it.

It should feel smooth, no bumps or sharp edges.

If you do notice anything double check your air pressure.

That can cause the shake.

Had it happen to me.

Archived