Bottom Fork Bolt

jeremy556

• Member Contributer

I can't remove the damn bottom fork bolt out. I have loosened it and it just spins. I have even put the forks back together and put them on the bike so the damper rod should not spin, but the damn thing isn't coming off.

Any suggestions? I read something on another board about using an impact gun, but I don't have a allen socket that can reach it.

• Member Contributer

You can break off the short end of the wrench

(grinder or vise & hammer),

slide socket on the long end.

Flip

• Member Contributer

I forgot you had to have tension on the tubes. Pulling them apart the bolt comes right out. I hadn't had the forks apart in almost a year, usually I pull them apart to inspect and change oil every few months.

• 1 month later...
Guest Chris Nikirk
I forgot you had to have tension on the tubes. Pulling them apart the bolt comes right out. I hadn't had the forks apart in almost a year, usually I pull them apart to inspect and change oil every few months.

I had a different problem with the same bolt on my '91. Being a 16 year old bike, looks like the forks have been apart several times. Last time some knucklehead stripped the head on this socket bolt and I couldn't get it to budge. My brother in law suggested a Craftsman easy out and that crazy thing was like magic! A trip down to the hardware store for another bolt and Cycle Gear for some 7W fork oil (and also a Michelin sticker for the fork because everyone knows stickers=horsepower) and we were rockin'.

Archived