Raising The Forks On A 6th Gen

Guest JKirk

Guest JKirk

When I had my forks apart for a good cleaning and oil change I raised them 8 or 9mm. After that, the bike felt lighter and easier to turn than before. The suspension is stock, and I'm pretty light (~165) so I haven't dragged anything or bottomed it out. A few high speed runs (~110) didn't exhibit any head shake so overall I'm real pleased with the result after riding for several weeks.

Has anyone raised them more than 9mm? Does it get better? Any advice on how to tell when you've gone to far?

Everybody has diff feel, but if your bike at times feels like it wants to fall over in a corner & you have to correct would be to much or high speed shake.

You normaly do 3mm at a time till you find the turn in you like, my VTEC with standard suspension was 5mm which was fine for me. You can also shim rear shock for same effect without effecting ground clearance but if you don't scrap pegs the more stable option is what you have done.

• Member Contributer

The conventional wisdom is that 7 or 8mm is optimal. Most people (from reading posts) have found the bike too twitchy or too eager to fall into corners if they raise it any more. I lowered my rear by flipping the shock linkage over so I raised my forks 8mm to compensate for that. This would put be back to "stock" settings. Then I raised them another 7mm to quicken the steering. I did the same thing on my 02 and I really liked the increased steering feel. I haven't personally gone any higher, but would guess it would be too much if I raised it any more.

• Member Contributer

well i think i have mine around 42mm beasue i got spacers from someone here and raised the handale a bit 2 me it feel perfect up 2 130MPH....i m about 160LBS 2..but also have back lower with the tripple clamp

• Member Contributer

I flipped the triangle that lowered the "whole" bike......I ended up with 15MM fork change before it suited me completely. I don't think you would want that much on a stock height bike, but mine was great................. :thumbsup:

Archived