Plastic welding

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

Well some of you may remember I hit a patch of dirt going thru a corner last summer I almost managed to gain control but before I could stop my foot-peg jammed into the side of the road and I was thrown off the bike.

There was some damage to the fairing but the worse part was that the rear fender had torn loose from one of the bolt points, I just shattered a hole where the bolt used to be. My brother in law told me his older brother rides a VFR like mine and he said he had a rear fender that was slightly scratched up but was in better shape than mine, when he came for Thanksgiving he brought it with him and just let me have it for nothing. Thanks Bro!

Well it was cracked in several places but it did not have as severe damage as my fender so I decided I would try to repair it. I went to the welding supply shop, they sell a gas plastic welding kit, but I used a hot soldiering iron and some ABS plastic sticks, I just doped in some ABS over the cracks on both sides and smoothed it over as best I could, I had to do this over in a few places cause the extra plastic did not take hold in some cases.

This is a pic of the where I busted a hole in my fender, its about 30 degrees outside so I just took this one inside, this is where it broke.

fender11.JPG

Here is where I welded some of the cracks on the inside

fender01.JPG

You can see where he scratched it

fender03.JPG

The point where the rear brake lights was cracked on both sides, I really had to fuse in allot of ABS to fix the cracks

fender04.JPG

I began to sand out the rough welds here

fender05.JPG

It is nice having a free fender to experiment on! I don't think I would have attempted to do this on my own fender.

Here I took a round file and shaped the welded part to make it look like it was before I welded it.

fender07.JPGfender08.JPG

A close up of where I filed it back to shape

fender10.JPG

I have allot more sanding to do and some spots don't look quite right, the upper holes where the frankenbolts go need allot of work to get them smooth and round. I will post more pics as the work progresses.

fender06.JPG