Compressing Suspension When Shipping A Vf750f

Alaskan

Howdy. I have a "new" '84 VF750F I'll be shipping south on a barge from Alaska. I intend to secure the bike in the container with 4 ratchet straps but I don't want to damage this bike's sophisticated :lol: suspension by overtightening the straps and overcompressing the suspension. I also don't want my bike to topple during shipping and rattle around in the container. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks!

I would remove the front fender and put a section of 2X4 between the top of the front tire and the bottom of the triple clamp, THEN tie it down. No compression of the suspension, but you might put a flat spot on the tire (might be temporary). I'd air the tire up to max to try and prevent that.

As for the rear, you could put a 2X4 next to the shock, between the top of the swingarm and the frame where the shock top attaches, then tie it down. No compression worries for suspension or tire.

Crossing the tasman sea (one of the roughest stretches of water in Australia) they compress the suspension about 40mm or so (1 1/2" for you guys), tie down as close as reasonable possible to the bike (ie reduce the angle of the ropes as much as possible without actually touching the bike) AND zip tie the brakes on!!!

You will need to compress the suspension slightly - just don't over do it by jumping up and down on it.

I really don't know that I would want to rely on a piece of would to save my P & J from harm.

Crossing the tasman sea (one of the roughest stretches of water in Australia) they compress the suspension about 40mm or so (1 1/2" for you guys), tie down as close as reasonable possible to the bike (ie reduce the angle of the ropes as much as possible without actually touching the bike) AND zip tie the brakes on!!!

You will need to compress the suspension slightly - just don't over do it by jumping up and down on it.

I really don't know that I would want to rely on a piece of would to save my P & J from harm.

40 mm sounds about right - I don't want to blow my fork seals AGAIN. Looks like I can wrap the front straps around the tubes just above the lower triple clamp. Now, the rear straps might be trickier. Maybe I can wrap around the subframe or perhaps even the swingarm, although the swingarm is getting kinda low.

Archived