Nolan N102 Review?

magellan

• Member Contributer

I'm thinking about buying Nolan N102 modular helmets for my wife and I (if we find that they fit well). Anyone out there have one and care to make a comment on quality, comfort, sound isolation, ease of use, and differences between the N102 and N100 (predecessor)? Thanks

I'm thinking about buying Nolan N102 modular helmets for my wife and I (if we find that they fit well). Anyone out there have one and care to make a comment on quality, comfort, sound isolation, ease of use, and differences between the N102 and N100 (predecessor)? Thanks

Magellan,

I had one of these helmets for about a week.

Now, before you assume the worst, let me explain. :D

The size I ordered was the wrong one. Instead of sending it back and paying shipping and re-stocking fees, I simply sold it for what I paid and plan on ordering the correct size.

I cannot comment on the wind noise as I hadn't ridden with it on, but I can comment on the fit and finish and perceivable quality of the helmet.

Quality is leaps and bounds ahead of my HJC Symax modular helmet.

The fact that the latches are made of metal and not plastic is a nice feature. It feels solid when you close the flip front.

There are chin and neck curtains (presumably to reduce wind noise) that are easily removable if you don't like them. The breath deflector is also easily removed.

The flip-down sun visor is pretty cool looking. I can't comment on functionality again as I didn't ride with it on. If you don't like it you can easily remove it and replace it with the caps that come with the helmet.

Removing the visor itself is also pretty easy, although not as easy as it is with my HJC. The instructions aren't real clear about the fact that you need to remove the side plastic coverings in order to get at the full mechanism. Once those are off, it's pretty straight forward.

The "anti-fog" insert is supposed to work really well.

It's easy enough to install, so I would try it and if you don;t likeit, remove it.

Now, for sizing.

This is the part that I managed to get wrong, even after getting advice from several owners of these helmets as well as Nolan's suggestion to go with the size larger than what you would normally wear.

Since my HJC is a Medium, I figured OK, go for the Large. Wrong. Too big.

My head measurement fell right between the Medium and Large size on Nolan's sizing chart. They say to go with the larger size in that case. Wrong.

Now this is for my head.

Everyone has a different shape, so who really knows?

That being said, if you are buying them from a shop, no issue.

If you are buying online like I did, I highly recommend that you find somewhere local to try them on first just to avoid the headache.

Cheers,

Rob

Just an update.

I received the correct size (Medium) from the supplier.

Ahh...much better fit.

So I've now worn the N102 a few times and I have to say that wind noise is down from the HJC Symax.

The seal/fit of the visor is great. When it's shut, it's very quiet for a flip-up.

The VPS (extra tinted visor) is kind of neat, although the "split screen" effect is a bit strange at first.

However, even though you are able to ride with the VPS screen "flipped up", I have found that it makes a bit of a whistling sound. Now this could be attributed to my height and the screen height of VTEC. I can get it to go away if I sit up straighter etc.

Comfort-wise, it is a very comfy helmet.

Fit and finish is very high too.

The Italian sales rep for my company was in my office on Friday and it turns out that he was born in te city where Nolan is located. He was very impressed that I would have a Nolan helmet and mentioned that they have won many awards for developing new materials etc.

All-in-all, a very excellent piece of gear.

Highly recommended!

:thumbsup:

Magellan,

I had one of these helmets for about a week.

Now, before you assume the worst, let me explain. :D

The size I ordered was the wrong one. Instead of sending it back and paying shipping and re-stocking fees, I simply sold it for what I paid and plan on ordering the correct size.

I cannot comment on the wind noise as I hadn't ridden with it on, but I can comment on the fit and finish and perceivable quality of the helmet.

Quality is leaps and bounds ahead of my HJC Symax modular helmet.

The fact that the latches are made of metal and not plastic is a nice feature. It feels solid when you close the flip front.

There are chin and neck curtains (presumably to reduce wind noise) that are easily removable if you don't like them. The breath deflector is also easily removed.

The flip-down sun visor is pretty cool looking. I can't comment on functionality again as I didn't ride with it on. If you don't like it you can easily remove it and replace it with the caps that come with the helmet.

Removing the visor itself is also pretty easy, although not as easy as it is with my HJC. The instructions aren't real clear about the fact that you need to remove the side plastic coverings in order to get at the full mechanism. Once those are off, it's pretty straight forward.

The "anti-fog" insert is supposed to work really well.

It's easy enough to install, so I would try it and if you don;t likeit, remove it.

Now, for sizing.

This is the part that I managed to get wrong, even after getting advice from several owners of these helmets as well as Nolan's suggestion to go with the size larger than what you would normally wear.

Since my HJC is a Medium, I figured OK, go for the Large. Wrong. Too big.

My head measurement fell right between the Medium and Large size on Nolan's sizing chart. They say to go with the larger size in that case. Wrong.

Now this is for my head.

Everyone has a different shape, so who really knows?

That being said, if you are buying them from a shop, no issue.

If you are buying online like I did, I highly recommend that you find somewhere local to try them on first just to avoid the headache.

Cheers,

Rob

• Member Contributer

Mine is kinda loud, but I love the quick buckle, the venting, the size and fit, the ratching movement and pretty much everything else.... although it makes the back of my neck cold.... strange airflow over the top I guess.

It gets "cold" in North Carolina?

:D

Mine is kinda loud, but I love the quick buckle, the venting, the size and fit, the ratching movement and pretty much everything else.... although it makes the back of my neck cold.... strange airflow over the top I guess.

Archived