Shoei RF-1000 - Picotte 3 TC-5

gza

Guest jgombos
I have such a large melon I spent years in cheap helmets beause I couldn't find a better one that fit. I finally ran across a RF-1000 in XXXL that had been sitting on a BMW dealers shelf for over a year because he couldn't sell it. It's a great fit but Shoei doesn't offer it in anything but solid colors. :-(

Too bad I can't lose weight from my head.

It may just be a matter of getting the right shape. You can change your head shape to fit any helmet you like. :idea3: Just wrap a tight turban around your head and don't take it off, like some of those primitive tribal folks. Periodically re-tighten the turban. Your skull will eventually take on the shape that you constrain it to.

Quiet? +1.gif You sure you are talking about a RF-1000? While it is a great helmet (I have two RF-1000's DuHamel replicas) it is anything but quiet. It is one of the loudest helmets I have ever worn.

After a recent spill in a RF-1000 Anthracite, I just ordered another one, Joust in blue.

Thought some graphics would spice things up a bit? (must be getting old)

One of the louder helmets I've worn. (I wear plugs as well)

A trade off for the great ventilation me thinks. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

I upgraded from a 8 year old Shoei RF800 just recently to a RF1000. It was posted on VFRD about a closeout at AcuraWorld.Com on RF1000s, only 199.00 delivered!

I also find the RF1000 to be louder than the older RF800, mostly when you turn you head from pointed straight ahead. This I see as a byproduct of the increased ventilation that the RF1000 provides, I find that my hair is more messed up when I get to work with the 1000, but my head is much cooler during the ride.

I also think the RF1000 is quite a bit lighter in weight when compared to the RF800, I have not had a chance to weigh them though.

I was hoping that the face shields would work on both the RF1000 and the RF800 since I already have several extra shields. Alas, they are not interchangable though.

Here is the new $200 Shoei RF1000

med_gallery_2434_526_6050.jpg

Archived