Longer Tank Bolt

Guest VFR_ATL

Guest VFR_ATL

All,

I'm going to install a Lowrance iWay 350C GPS on my '98 using the RAM-B-238 or RAM-B-149 mount attached to the front gas tank bolts. According to the microfitch "46 Bolt, flange (6X28)" is the OEM spec for the tank mounting bolts.

My question: What lenght 6mm bolts do I need to source for use with the RAM mounts?

Regards,

VFR_ATL

• Member Contributer

How this is the mount? Will you be adding a rubber isolation grommet above or below the mount? Will you be placing the mount below the tank and rubber iso grommets that are on the bike now?

I would place the mount below the tank on the frame if the mount is flat and just a couple of mm's length for the bracket thickness.

If the mount is not flat add the thickness of the mount to the length of the bolt.

And post a pic when you are done.

smile.gif

If you use the RAM-B-149 (the diamond plate, 2" arm and the handlebar mount), you can just take off the U-bolt off the handlebar mount, and run the existing tank bolts thru the holes where the u-bolt went - it's a perfect fit and works great.

The existing bolts are a *little* shorter than I'd like, but will work fine. If you wanted to get something longer, I'd say a 6x30 or a 6x35 at most would be fine. I never bothered getting longer bolts because I've not found them in stainless locally and everything I get from the hardware store rusts the first time it gets wet, but the Honda bolts don't.

The existing bolts are a *little* shorter than I'd like, but will work fine.? If you wanted to get something longer, I'd say a 6x30 or a 6x35 at most would be fine.? I never bothered getting longer bolts because I've not found them in stainless locally and everything I get from the hardware store rusts the first time it gets wet, but the Honda bolts don't.

happypenguin,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll go w/ the 149 mount.

I found a source for Stainless A-2 (18-8) bolts at:

http://www.boltdepot.com/metric-fasteners.html

As inexpensive as they are I'll order both 6x30 and 6x35 and use whichever works best.

cornercarver,

I'll post pics and a product review when I returm from a 5,000 mile tour in June.

Regards,

VFR_ATL

Archived