Iasus Throat Microphone

cianciar

• Member Contributer

Anyone ever use the Iasus GP headset and throat mic before?

If so how is the sound quality of the mic and the headsets?

Looking to get a headset and mic and would like something that I could also plug my mini disc player into.

iasus-concepts.com

• Member Contributer

I've been researching them for awhile I really like them but I have yet to take the plunge and try one. Also they are not compatible with any of the intercom mixer combos.

Try it tell me what you think. I am looking for a reliable review of them.

• Member Contributer

I think I read a thread somewhere at somepoint, maybe on STN about someone that looked into using throats mics. Basically, they didn't work well at all was what I remembered from the post.

• Member Contributer

Today at work I was talking with the SWAT LT. to see what he thought. He said the only drawback he knows is most throat mics only do analog output. I'll have to read up on that.

I had two of them, and tried them in a number of situations.

For use while hiking, walking around, or driving, they were "okay". Voices were usually distorted, but not so much that you couldn't make out what people were saying. I think now that most of that was because of the context... I knew the people I was talking to, knew what we were both doing, so what they were saying was falling into my brain's category of "expected phrases".

For use on the bike, they were *crap*. I tried them on three bikes... Me wearing one on my VFR (full-face helmet), and either my dad wearing one on his Goldwing (3/4 helmet) or my wife wearing one on her EX500 (full-face helmet).

My dad reported that everything that I said sounded like I was sitting at the bottom of a bucket. Extremely distorted, and he had to really concentrate on my transmission in order to make it out. My wife and I had better luck, but not much. Transmissions were distorted, but we could make each other out.

The bigger problem was the voice-activation feature. The microphones wouldn't pick up until you were two or three words into a transmission, so you always had to "grunt", or "burp", or something, before you started talking. And about 1 time in 4, it would start transmitting immediately, so that transmission would sound like "GRUNT... Hey, where are we stopping?" It was very annoying.

I still want a headset/mic combo, so i'm looking at buying one of the pancake-speaker and stick-on microphone headsets to use instead. They apparently work much better (much less distortion), and they can also use a push-to-talk, which means you can always be sure whether or not you're transmitting. Being a pilot, i'm used to having to push a button to transmit, so this is second nature to me. I just need to find a space for the button on the handlebars.

Archived