paint experts?

Guest superchode

Guest superchode

well i'm doing some restoration work and i'm getting to the painting stage. there's one step in the process that i'm unclear on.

i'm going to wet sand the primer and then spray on the paint... but i'm not sure if i should put clear coat on top of that and then wet sand and go at it with the polishing compound or whether i should wet sand the paint and/or polish it before the clear coat goes down. i'm thinking the clear coat should go directly onto the paint to prevent any dulling of that paint.. but i'm just not sure what the method is.

so... definately wet sand and polish the clear - but what should i do with the base coat of pain?

any help would be appreciated - especially from anyone who got some serious experience in this arena.

• Member Contributer

You don't sand the basecoat as long as you recoat it within the time window. If you let it sit too long, you have to sand the base and reshoot it. All modern 2 part paints make dangerous chemicals. Don't breath or absorb this stuff period. It accumulates in your system forever. If you have no painting exp., it might be a good idea to find a bodyshop that might let you watch for a little while. There's about 12 million ways to screw up when painting. Also, don't mix brands. If you buy Dupont, use all there stuff. Good luck.

Archived