Coolant Leak. HELP!!!!

Guest nofr13

So early this summer I changed the thermostat in the Vtec. Now three months later I am getting a leak near/under/around the thermostat housing. Only on the RH side. Of course with the TB in place you can see nothing and with them removed it's hard to leak check. With the TBs out I found one loose hose, but no signs of a leak.

My question, is thereany way you can run the water pump without starting the bike? The leak could be coming from the Spool valve assy. What that does I have no idea. But it is in the area. The area in question is right next to the oil pressure swtich also.

All I know is that if I stick it back togather right now it will still be leaking.

Please help me!!!

My bike had a slight smell of coolant a few years ago. I just tightened all the hose clamps on the entire cooling system and it went away.

And no, you can't run the water pump with the engine off. It's driven off the engine.

Even if you could (electric pump?) these problems usually don't show up until the engine is hot and the cooling system is up to pressure.

This thing leaks right away and I mean like as soon as it's runnng. So it could still the the thermostat housing, but hard to check without pressure.

In the 30 minute ride gome from work it loss a pint of coolent out the weep hole on the RH side of the frame.

This thing leaks right away and I mean like as soon as it's runnng. So it could still the the thermostat housing, but hard to check without pressure.

In the 30 minute ride gome from work it loss a pint of coolent out the weep hole on the RH side of the frame.

OOh, that sounds like it may even be the O-ring on the thermostat housing. Usually leaky hoses have a small drip and it takes a long time to lose any appreciable amount of coolant.

I'd be inclined to have a look at the thermostat housing and see if the O-ring is pinched or otherwise damaged.

As far as that goes, I'd probably just replace it outright even if it looks OK, since it's such a biatch to get at.

Let us know how it goes.

We'll it's all fixed now. Seams that I found one loose hose clamp and a water pipe connection to the front bank. The water pipe connection, just a cast elbow with an o-ring behind it has two bolts that need a little wrenching. Then I tighten every hose clamp and fitting I could find.

Ran it up, temp to 190, no problems!!

Thank you for the help guys. Tomorrow, put it all back togather and watch it snow another 6 inches.

p.s. no Honda dealer even had the o-ring for the thermostat in stock. Honda made a special one just for the VFR, imagine that. When I am in Japan, I plan to hunt down the engineer that keeps approving this very poor design and give him what is left of my sanity.

Archived