2001 VFR800 FI Speedometer and Rev Counter not working

Hello recently had some issues with the old girl, had the reg/rec overheat and take out the ECU with it, after replacing the ECU, new barrel keys, upgraded reg/rec

She is running like a dream, the problem I now have is that the Speedometer and the rev gauge are not working.

I've replaced the speed sensor and it's still not working check the connections up and can't seem to find a fault.

I'm assuming the issue would be with the PCB but wanted to know if anyone has had the same fault or knows of a fix... 

I'm not too worried about the rev gauge not working at the moment, would just be nice to make sure I am not speeding anywhere haha 

Thanks in advance

• Member Contributer

Tacho and Speedometer are mounted and electrically connected to the pcb by three Phillips screws. Both instruments share the same Power and Ground source.

Suggest using the wiring diagram and take some simple Voltage and Ground measurements at the Instrument mounting screws to discover what's missing. 12v power is the Brown/Blue wire, Ground is the Green/Black. See partial drawing attached.

A good clean of the connections of the two main Instrument Panel connectors and a smear of OxGard on the contacts is a good thing to do. 

Have a close inspection of ALL the pcb copper tracks for corrosion and open tracks, these can be easily repaired via a solder bridge wire.

Good luck, hopefully your fault won't be too hard to find.

Screenshot_20240323_190851_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1