Just got the bike! Some newbie questions about (strange) bike behaviour...

Moondust

Hi,

Just got 2012 DCT model. Pretty much my first powerful bike (had a brief stint with ninja 500 many years ago), have no point of reference so after riding it a bit have some questions 🙂

1) When in gear and idling (for example, waiting for green light) i hear some strange "huff-huff-huff" sound, like something is spinning and there is some friction? Or like something is chafing. It's not cooling fan, that is more intense and constant when it's on. It's not monotonic, it comes for several seconds then goes away and then comes back. I think it becomes fainter with time and i think i don't hear it in neutral but i'll double check next time i'm riding. 

Basically it's not a clean sound of engine running, there is something else and I hope it's not sign of something serious.

2) Sometimes when i ride at city-traffic speeds (50-70kmh) i can feel what i can only describe as micro shudders in rapid succession. It's not gears switching, that tug/shudder is way way more pronounced and display is showing constant gear anyway when this happens. But it is kinda similar to gear switching, just reduced to micro level. Very weird feeling, did anyone experience this?

3) Any disadvantage of always running in Sport mode? I prefer how it doesn't constantly switch gears in city traffic etc.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I'm of no help since I'm newish here also but hopefully someone will chime in to help soon 🙂

Congrats on the acquisition!

2 hours ago, WDIV said:

I'm of no help since I'm newish here also but hopefully someone will chime in to help soon 🙂

Congrats on the acquisition!

My bike needs driveshaft recall to be done as well, so i'm gonna ask the same questions at the dealership as well, maybe someone there will know what's that sound is 🙂

• Member Contributer
On 4/27/2023 at 5:19 PM, Moondust said:

1) When in gear and idling (for example, waiting for green light) i hear some strange "huff-huff-huff" sound, like something is spinning and there is some friction? Or like something is chafing. It's not cooling fan, that is more intense and constant when it's on. It's not monotonic, it comes for several seconds then goes away and then comes back. I think it becomes fainter with time and i think i don't hear it in neutral but i'll double check next time i'm riding. 

Basically it's not a clean sound of engine running, there is something else and I hope it's not sign of something serious.

Hi, and welcome.

You happen to have any audio/video of this idling thing?  These bikes make a bit of noise, but this sounds like something suspect.  Does it do it when in Neutral?

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the DCT, so won't be much help on those questions.

On 4/30/2023 at 10:34 AM, Yokel said:

Hi, and welcome.

You happen to have any audio/video of this idling thing?  These bikes make a bit of noise, but this sounds like something suspect.  Does it do it when in Neutral?

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the DCT, so won't be much help on those questions.

For sure, will try to record a video. We had a solid week of rain here, looks like it's ending tmrw, yay.

Archived