Hi,

Just tried to start my 2001 & the FI indicator light came on, & stayed on.. with no fuel pump primer sound whatsoever. I'm not very techy, any ideas what it might be? Thanks

I had this problem recently with my 99 model.

Rocking the red kill switch back and forth did not make the fuel pump prime. This was after a break from an afternoon of riding and was time to go home. The FI light remained solid. I got a tow home that day.

The next day I followed the service manual’s troubleshooting flow. The relevant fuses were OK and relays were OK. The final step was “replace ECM”.

I unplugged and replugged the ECM. Immediately the fuel pump started working and has been working since that point.

This won’t solve your problem if the fuses & relays need attention. For me, the signal to tell the fuel pump relays to prime just wasn’t there, and reseating the connection fixed it.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:41 PM, omgvfr said:

I had this problem recently with my 99 model.

Rocking the red kill switch back and forth did not make the fuel pump prime. This was after a break from an afternoon of riding and was time to go home. The FI light remained solid. I got a tow home that day.

The next day I followed the service manual’s troubleshooting flow. The relevant fuses were OK and relays were OK. The final step was “replace ECM”.

I unplugged and replugged the ECM. Immediately the fuel pump started working and has been working since that point.

This won’t solve your problem if the fuses & relays need attention. For me, the signal to tell the fuel pump relays to prime just wasn’t there, and reseating the connection fixed it.

Thanks for this omgvfr. I suspected something along those lines; that the signal just wasn't reaching the primer pump. Finally got time to look at it just now, rocked the kill switch back & forth coupla times & up she flew. So I'll give it a squirt of switch cleaner, until I get time to dismantle & clean up the switch properly. 👍

Archived