Install a yellow box speedo correction

Guest stevesklar

Guest stevesklar

GoodGuy  

Yesterday I asked a cop to put me on the radar gun.

Have the cop test you on the radar at 75 and 90 and see if it works.  While your at it on the 3rd run let's see how fast the VFR maxs out at.

Guest stevesklar

While your at it on the 3rd run let's see how fast the VFR maxs out at.

Haven't heard from Goodguy .. wonder if he got thrown in jail for that last run ????

Guest GoodGuy
Hey back again. My Cop friend said no to 90 mph. So, we did 50 and 60 mph then called it quits. (school was getting out so we could not go like that when the kids are around, I hate school zones) My bike read nominal on both speeds.  Since digital is always ambiguous to plus or minus one count I can presume that my speedo is correct. I don't trust cheap GPS (cheap means under $10K) receivers. We tweak ours at work every six months against a ribidium oscillator.

Guest stevesklar

Figures .. 90 in a 25 zone eh ??

I'd love to confirm my speedo but everyone else's seems off and I know I'm not doing 90 on the highway when the speedo says 90.

I just got a Garmin GPS V .. not exactly 10K but the $$$ came from my pockets.  The Garmin = my van and car's speedos so far.  Maybe I'll get a chance to test it if the weather warms up before i get the yellow box in.

I haven't installed the Yellow Box yet because it's been about 11 degrees here ... the Day's High.   So it will have to warm up a bit before I get a chance to take my plastic off.  Bare hands in that cold are frozen quickly.

• 6 months later...
Guest MinnMarker

VFR Speed Correction the easy way:

Recalculating speed in my head all the time (lets see now, 55 plus 10 equals 65 plus 8% equals 70 so I can go an indicated 70 or so without watching for LEOs) was just too much for my feeble mind. ?Splicing in a Yellow box didn't look like fun either.

I found Jim Ahlman's speedo correction box.

http://www.rc51.org/data2racing/jim.htm

This is a great little unit that comes with two harnesses that match the Honda harness for the sender. ?I took 10 minutes (really) to install. ?Set at 7.5% correction (1% to 25% capable). Checked speed by GPS and pace car. ?Am now right on and very happy with the unit.  Cost $90.

• 2 years later...
Guest GorillaD

After reading all the posts about speedometer correction I think I'm going to order a Speedohealer V3.0. I was able to find one on ebay for $90. It appears to be a nice unit than the others plus I like the top speed feature. When I'm zipping down the road I don't really want to stare at the speedometer (especially when I have to do the math) but it would be nice to look at where I topped out at a glance (especially if it's right).

I've been using my portable GPS unit to see how far off my speedometer is. It appears to be around 10% (ti's almost dead on if I take the first digit and substract it from the speed so 85 (take the 8 and substract it) = 77. I know my GPS unit isn't always correct as to where it is but the speed calculation is realitive to where you were which is dead on. It shows my cars to be very, very close to the correct speed but the bike to be WAY off (10%).

After reading this thread though I wonder about the odometer. I had compaired trip meters with buddy's after we went for a ride and mine seemed about 10% high leading me to believe the speed sensor itself was off throwing off both the speedometer and the odometer but I'm going to have to do some more testing to find it out. I'd rather have my speedometer accurate than the trip and odometer as long as I know the trip and odometer are off.

--Andrew Duey

'03 VFR800a (nearly stock still)

Edited by GorillaD

After reading this thread though I wonder about the odometer.  I had compaired trip meters with buddy's after we went for a ride and mine seemed about 10% high leading me to believe the speed sensor itself was off throwing off both the speedometer and the odometer but I'm going to have to do some more testing to find it out.  I'd rather have my speedometer accurate than the trip and odometer as long as I know the trip and odometer are off.

I find it unlikely that both your speedometer and odometer are exactly off by 10%. The speedometer on the bike usually has a built in error (between 5%-10%) and the odometer is suppose to be dead-on accurate.

More Info.

Guest GorillaD
I find it unlikely that both your speedometer and odometer are exactly off by 10%.? The speedometer on the bike usually has a built in error (between 5%-10%) and the odometer is suppose to be dead-on accurate.

More Info.

I did read that thread earlier. The only thing I read in there about the relationship between the odometer and the speedometer beside if you adjust one you adjust the other was: "My understanding is that they put the over reading error in on purpose to have you going slower than what you think you are, some half-cocked saftey idea perhaps?"

But I didn't see any hard evidence of anyone showing their odometer was dead on while the speedometer was off such as having GPS calculations or measured distances to prove it.

I have however in my own experience come to believe that the odometer is long just like the speed is high. On multiple trips my odometer has been substantially higher (in the 10% range) than the odometer on a friends bike who rode the same rode with me.

Either way, before I install a speedohealer I'm going to record some hard evidence on the accuracy of the odometer. I'll probably grab my handy-dandy GPS unit and find a very straight road (which are abundant in this area of nebraska -- you could put the club on your steering wheel, fall asleep, wake up 2 hours later and still be going right down the middle of your lane:) ). Mark the starting point, ride 5-10 miles, then ask the GPS unit for a measurement to compare against the odometer. While the GPS is not absolutely accurate (the long/lat reading could be 100m off in the corn field) the relative reading should be very accurate relative to the inaccurate starting point. If I can find a highway with mile markers that would be a nice double check but the highways don't tend to be as straight as the non-marked rural roads.

We've had a many days this month which were nice enough for riding, next time I get a chance I'll do some measurements and post back for the world to see.

--Andrew Duey

'03 VFR800a

Edited by GorillaD

My speedometer reads almost 10% high, I thought it was messed up when I originally got it but over time I read up on it here and everyone who has a 6th gen and stock chain/sprockets has theirs read high too. However, the odometer reads spot on. I confirmed this with a 650 mile trip (each way) last summer and both the odometer and the GPS agreed to within 5 miles, which is less than 1% error.

The really annoying part is that if you fit in a speedohealer or equivalent to make the speedo read correct, you'll make your odometer read under the actual mileage, since they both use the same speed sensor. I personally prefer to have an accurate odometer, I've gotten used to figuring out the speedo in my head when I don't have the GPS on the bike. Just take the indicated speed (example 80 mph), subtract the 8 (now 72) and add 1 (73) and you'll get your true speed as verified by the GPS 9 times out of 10... smile.gif

Chris