Help needed to run wiring from battery to handlebar

tangaroa39

I purchase a maintenance manuel but it will not arrive for 7/10 days.   I need help to find out the easiest way to run wiring from battery to handlebar area.  I purchase a kit from Optimate to have a usb connection to charge my phone/gps .   

Should I run it under the tank ?  If so how hard is to lift the tank ?    Should I run it inside of a fairing section ?   if so which and how to remove ?   

Thanks for any info or help .

20160806_213115 (1).jpg

• Member Contributer

It's not that hard.  The owners manual has all the info you will need. 

First of of all you need to decide where you want the USB to be mounted and then work back.  

You will need to remove both seats and the 2 black side panels the the two bolts at front of tank. Raise the tank and support it using a pole or chain adjuster in toolkit ( pics in manual)  make sure breather isn't pinched when you put tank back down.

Thank you, what you described is what I plan to do.  

I removed the two screws holding the side panels but they are still secured to the tank with no visible screws or clips that I could find.   I am a  worried that those plastic anchor points may break if mishandled or forced. 

I read the manual,  (a few times), but could not find information on how to remove the side panels that are attached to the tank.  A photo of the tank with the side panels off would be helpful on understanding how it is attached.   

• Member Contributer

Take the two crews out. There is a "pin" on the moulding that is located in a rubber ease it out then slide the panel to the rear off the tangs on the tank. You will see if you look after removing the bolts 

When end putting back on you will need to press the panel it a bit so it will engage on the tangs. 

With Fink's explanation I gave it a go and completed the job.  It took around an hour, ( i am slow ).   Here are two pics of the completed work. 

The red waterproof connector is visible and attached with a tie wrap and the other an under the seat view of the wiring.  

Also I included two other photos.  One of one of the panels inside face of the with the three rubber inserts that can easily fall off during reinstallation if not very careful, it happened to me :) . The other  of the side of the tank with its two tangs.

Thanks for you help Fink .

PS:  Now I am left with a 150 $(Can) Honda accessory socket that is of no use .  :(  

I should have research the forums before buying it.  I would have saved a lot of money for a much better installation.  Or am I missing something ??

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Archived