Vfr refuses to be a four cylinder

Hi everyone, 

As I was trying to set off from a traffic light today my bike just stalled and when I restarted it it would misfire terribly, was impossible to ride further so I had to call the road side assistance here in the Netherlands to get me home. Looks like an electrical issue and I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar  issue. When i keep steady throttle the rpm needle just gets crazy and sometimes won't go over 4k, the rpm just drops abruptly. All this accompanied by smell of unburnt fuel. I attach a YouTube link so you can see what the engine does while my hand is STEADY on the throttle... 

Really hope someone has an idea because I don't really trust my garage here honestly, probably when I start the cold bike it will be running fine which doesn't help diagnosing the problem. It has happened before but only for a short period of time, just after a hot engine start. After those few terrible seconds it would always return to normal by itself, but not now.. And that would happen may be once per month while I drive daily, so not that often. 

Link: 

Hope to hear from someone, greetings! 

I think you might have a pulse generator (AKA pick-up coil) acting up. In the previous generation of Honda V4's (I think ours, too) the ignition circuit for one cylinder bank also controlled the tachometer while the circuit for the other bank controlled the fuel pump. You smell gas because one bank has no spark. Check the resistance of the pulse generators at their connector plugs. I think it should be 480 ohms +/- 10%. Ideally, if your bike is running on all 4 cylinders when cold you would see spec resistance. Then if you lose 2 cylinders when hot, the pulse generator for that cylinder bank would show as noticeably out of spec (probably high resistance or completely open). If you don't have a service manual, download one. 

Cheers,

Glenn

• Member Contributer

Fwiw, the service manual is in the download section here on VFRD

and should one or more of your ignition coils/bobines be kaputt, I have spare in my shed....  :-)

What a nice cheap fix.... Hopefully that was the only reason for the problems. 

The connector between the ignition wires that come from the pulse generator and the ones going further was loose! 

What I noticed also on my previous vfr from the same generation is that those two connectors are always covered in kind of oil sweat. Is that something normal that everyone has? I suspect it might be coming from the breather hose on top of the rear cylinder bank because there is always some oil around it. Although I can't imagine how the oil gets exactly on those connectors all the way on the side and on nothing else around them or between that breather hose and these connections. 

Here is a photo of the middle connector as I saw it after removing the fairing. 

IMG_20170812_152753.jpg

• Member Contributer

clean the bugger

and put -narrow-   tiewraps around them plugs to stop them from ever getting loose again by themselves!

that breather hose goes into a little filter housing I think...

#7,8,9

Or into the airbox directly (not sure here)

Knipsel.PNG.4e9e5f649610e818270cb8a9eb335a27.PNG

Archived