6th Gen disconnected tube under gas tank

DDrymkiew

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum and my VFR. Before I ask my question, is anyone else having problems with the search bar at the top right? I keep getting errors when I search content.

I love my 2004, I've owned cruisers and sportsbikes but I've always wanted one of these and she really doesn't disappoint. I got her knowing that I would need to put lots of love into getting her up ship shape, 35K miles and owners who just didn't know better means that I've installed a new air filter, tires, brakes, racetech springs for the front (I'm a bit hefty at 250lbs), changed the oil and the brake/clutch fluids, ran a wire to charge my phone and now I'll be installing spark plugs next as they're coming up on 14k miles. During all this work the tank has been up a few times and I've noticed a black tube coming up from the left side of the engine and sitting on top of the rubber covering the head of the rear two cylinders. The tube ends in a white plastic piece and doesn't seem to have anywhere to connect to. Now the bike operates perfectly normally, considering all the maintenance that has been avoided (or maybe I'm just OCD and like project bikes). I don't have a picture, but I can probably take one tomorrow or this weekend if need be.

Anyone know what that tube is? I have yet to get a service manual and I'd like to know what the hell its for.

• Member Contributer

First of all, welcome!

The forum was re-built within the pat week, and not all the bugs have been worked out yet.  The search function seems to be one that's still needs work.

Regarding the tube, it sounds like it's either the tank vent tube or the overflow tube.  The engine will run fine with either disconnected.  Look up under the tank where the fuel line connects and it will likely be apparent which it is.  

8 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

First of all, welcome!

The forum was re-built within the pat week, and not all the bugs have been worked out yet.  The search function seems to be one that's still needs work.

Regarding the tube, it sounds like it's either the tank vent tube or the overflow tube.  The engine will run fine with either disconnected.  Look up under the tank where the fuel line connects and it will likely be apparent which it is.  

Thank you! I'm glad to be back on two wheels after my back surgery (unrelated to riding) a year and a half ago! Hmmm, i couldn't find a place to re-connect it, do you have a diagram or can you link one? Tried searching on the site, but you know that isn't working right now. I'll be able to do it tomorrow or this weekend, since it only take a few minutes to get the tank elevated.

• Member Contributer

The parts fiche would be all I can think of now, and it only shows the tank from the top.  The overflow and vent tubes work their way down to the bracket that has the 3 tubes under the bike as viewed from the rider's left.  Lifting the tank and looking underneath where the fuel line exits , it will be very obvious where each connects.  My guess is that when you have the chance to look, you'll figure it out pretty quickly. 

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, hoyter said:

Maybe the previous owner removed the hose for the flapper?

http://johnny.chadda.se/pair-and-flapper-mod-with-bonus-snorkel-mod-for-vfr/

Hey! Thanks for the idea. Actually I figured it out while I was replacing my spark plugs and coolant a few weeks back. It was the overflow tube. Thankfully I hadn't overfilled the gas tank so there was none flowing out onto my leg or the rest of the bike. When I get some time outside work, I'll post a write up of how to replace the spark plugs with pictures and tips. I've just been insanely busy.

Archived