Power issue when ignition switched on

Elskus

Hi all, I have a 91 VFR750

When the ignition is switched off there is power to the clock.

When I switch the power on the bike has no power at all, not even enough to run the clock.

Battery has been checked and is fully charged.

All fuses checked and were fine.

Any ideas what may be causing this

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

That the clock cannot be maintained makes me think a short is draining all of the power. Turn ignition off. Pull negative battery cable. Put an ammeter between the cable and the battery. Ammeter should be on 20 AMPS to protect the meter. Now change it to 2 amp, .2 amp, etc. until you get a reading. If larger than about 3 mA / .003 A then there is a short. If there is a short you should see a number "much larger" than this as a hint. Pull fuses until ammeter reading plummets. You found the circuit with the short and now have to troubleshoot the wiring/devices on that circuit. The wiring diagram can tell you what devices are run on that circuit. (See the owner's manual or perhaps there is one in the downloads section of this site.)

If any changes were made to the bike or there were any other electrical issues addressed perhaps you have a hint as to the problem. Or did you just pick up this bike?

That the clock cannot be maintained makes me think a short is draining all of the power. Turn ignition off. Pull negative battery cable. Put an ammeter between the cable and the battery. Ammeter should be on 20 AMPS to protect the meter. Now change it to 2 amp, .2 amp, etc. until you get a reading. If larger than about 3 mA / .003 A then there is a short. If there is a short you should see a number "much larger" than this as a hint. Pull fuses until ammeter reading plummets. You found the circuit with the short and now have to troubleshoot the wiring/devices on that circuit. The wiring diagram can tell you what devices are run on that circuit. (See the owner's manual or perhaps there is one in the downloads section of this site.)

If any changes were made to the bike or there were any other electrical issues addressed perhaps you have a hint as to the problem. Or did you just pick up this bike?
That's great, will try that when my mate comes round with his ammeter.
Took the protective cover off the main fuse and found that it was in a bit of a state.
Had the bike for about 2 years and been bomb proof.
Put in a pair of Philips xenon headlight bulbs 2 weeks ago, could that have caused it? 1eaf3525cae7068e215f184f7ab3229e.jpg

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

I don't know bulbs nor your bike generation so someone else can comment. This is a conversion kit with ballasts? You may want to post the specifics.

Regarding the light system, everywhere you worked inspect the wiring for a nick, pinch, or burn mark where a short could be generated. All connections are tight. A short is supposed to pop a fuse but if it does not it could in fact last a while unnoticed until the current burns through a wire or heat damage a fuse. 

Is the battery secure? Are the cables tight? The battery like the headlights is a "high power item" so it is one more thing to make sure after the last time it was connected that the battery did not bounce around, short, and there is no sign of burning on the bike near the terminals.

Archived