Looking at purchasing a 6 Gen

Matt2

First time posting here, looking for some advice on a 6 Gen purchase.

I have recently sold my 2005 620cc Ducati Multistrada. 30,000kms in 3.5 years. (only rode weekends for the last year due to work commitments)
Im looking to get back on the horse so to speak and have decided on a VFR.

I really like the 25 Anv Ed RWB. However I can purchase a 2010-12 for only slightly more. 
My question is, will I be significantly better off going with a bike 3-5 years younger with similar kms even though it is within the same revision (ie post 2006 revision).

Here is the actual RWB I am looking at. The lowest km RWB I can find.
http://www.autotrader.com.au/motorcycles-for-sale/2007-HONDA-800CC-VFR800-LTD-ED-TRI-COLOUR-8-JBW3528467?backurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autotrader.com.au%2Fsearch%3F%26urlname%3D%26search_location_state%3D%26search_vehicle_type%3DBIKE%26search_type_make%3DHONDA%26search_type_model%3DHONDA_VFR%26search_details_lowest_ccs%3D%26search_details_highest_ccs%3D%26search_details_lowest_price%3D%26search_details_highest_price%3D%26keywords%3DWhat%2Bare%2Byou%2Blooking%2Bfor%253F%26sort%3DKilometers&backtext=Results

And an example newer 6 Gen (not necessarily looking at this particular bike).
http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/SSE-AD-3934314/2011-Honda-VFR800Fi/?cr=0&psq=%28%28%28%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BBrand%20new%20bikes%20available%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BBrand%20new%20bikes%20in%20stock%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20used%20bikes%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDemo%20%26%20near%20new%20bikes%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20used%20bikes%5D%29%26%28Make%3D%5BHonda%5D%26Model%3D%5BVFR800Fi%5D%29%29%26Service%3D%5BBikesales%5D%29&pso=0&pss=Odometer

These prices are pre negotiation and in AUD, Approx $5970 USD for the RWB and $7090 USD for the 2011.

For the keen eyed I will be posting this on VFR World as well.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Matt.

• Member Contributer

The ad for the 2011 calls out this selling point in the description:

"Never ridden in the rain by 57 yr old."

Personally, I just don't find that very compelling. Maybe it's an Australian thing, but that seems like a tricky sort of virtue, along the lines of:

Never tipped over in Disneyland parking lot

or: 

Never crashed in the presence of a priest

;)

All that being said, if it were my money, I'd probably toss in the extra $1K (U.S.) and buy the 2011. I get a much better (totally subjective) vibe off that bike. I'm probably being unfairly biased by the state of environmental clutter and disrepair surrounding the 2007. Sometimes, age (especially in the presence of dampness) can be harder on a bike than the wear of moderate regular use. Best of luck with your purchase, whatever choice you make.

Thanks for your input Rob.

The environmental clutter was also brought up over at VFR World. I completely agree on the "Never ridden in the rain". IMO it is to be taken with a grain of salt. I think the "by a 57yo" is just lack of grammer on his part, merely trying to point out that is ridden by a mature rider, ie hasn't been thrashed.

Even if I don't go with that particular RWB the question still stands. Other RWB's around ATM have between 15-30,000kms. Still not terrible for the VFR but less is better given all other things even (which they may not be based on the state of the bikes surrounds).

Hi mate, a fellow aussie here and i was in that exact spot 3 weeks ago. In fact that 2011 model i spoke to  the owner and if it wasn't for the distance that thing would be in my shed right now. It presents beautiful. I picked up an exact twin to that one virtually brand new still with 14 months new bike Honda warranty on it from Victoria. I'm with RobF ^ in how a bike is presented for sale can tell alot about the type of owner - mess and clutter "could" equal lazy person in my opinion. 

Good luck and there are a few nice ones around. 

IMG_9941.JPG

Archived