2010 Vfr1200 Brake Fluid Flush

bones

I just picked up this 2010 VFR1200 with less than 5K miles. While I've owned dozens of bikes and do all my own maintenance I have to admit I'm confused about all the drama I'm reading about with getting air in the brake lines. Normally I use a syringe to remove most of the fluid from the reservoir, refill, attach tygon tubing to bleeder valve and pump brake--topping off reservoir as needed until clean fluid comes out the bleeder. Understand I'm not trying to be a know it all; does this simple procedure not work with these bikes?

I do the same with flushing hydraulic clutches and never had a problem, what is different with the VFR1200 that creates the issue(s)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Really the important thing to remember is the front and rear brakes are linked. Sitting on the bike,the left front caliper has two bleeders. The bottom one is for the front brakes only.The top bleeder is for front and rear brakes. The front brakes can be bled independently,while the rear brake must be bled,at the front top bleeder,then the rear caliper. This can take more time because of the distance the fluid is flowing. Bleed the front,left and right calipers first,then proceed with the rear. Although the brakes are linked,there is a front resivor,on the bars, and a rear brake fluid resivor,under the seat. Hope this helps

Really appreciate the sequence to the bleeding. I must admit I still don't understand how people are getting air in a brake system that is solid. If you are doing a master cylinder replacement or installing Speedbleeders, yes you have introduced air. Believe me I have dealt with linked brakes on a Moto Guzzi Lemans, I have stared the devil in the face. Thanks again.

Archived