Odd Sound ?

Rdoxy

Just curious on thoughts....2002 sixth gen

Just started my bike up for the first time last night after sitting for the winter (in garage, covered, fuel stabilizer etc). The bike fired up completely fine, and idled smooth as always. I left it running for a few minutes to warm it up, still nice ans smooth sounding. However, when I gave it a bit of throttle I hear this bit of "flapping" sound that went away as soon as the bike went back down to idle speed. I gunned it a few times and it was the same each time.

Hard to describe the sound, but I looked online and came across this video, this is the exact noise it was making.

I looked at a couple of the comments and someone mentioned the valves, but I have a hard time believing that for a couple reasons. 1) The bike was running smooth as silk when I stored it for the winter. 2) At idle it sounds completely fine.

Any thoughts what this might be??

• Member Contributer

That sounds like the cam chain tensioner (cct) not doing it's job correctly. We have an older CBR600 that makes a similar sound every once in a while. What often happens is that the mechanizm doesn't expand quickly enough, allowing the cam chain to flail and rattle around. On our CBR600 it only happens every once in a while and it always goes away after just a few seconds. It usually happens when the bike is cold, or after it has been sitting for several weeks. I suspect ours is getting sticky and needs to be warmed up and/or addiquatly lubricated before it begins to work correctly.

Usually, once they start making noise, the cct needs to be replaced. Some replace with stock, others replace with a manually adjusted aftermarket unit. The V4 engine has 2 cct units, one for the front bank of cylinders and another for the rear.

The cam chain noise common to the 6th gen is not the usual loose cam chain rattle common on other bikes but the tensioner rattling in its case because it is full of air rather than oil. Completely harmless just annoying when it gets worse. The front one is worse because of its position. It usually happens when the oil pressure is low, idling, oil is cold and thicker, oil filter clogged. Some oils flow better and can prevent the noise. I had luck with Castrol GTX 10W40 never rattled after the bike warmed up. Ignore it as long as you can, mine never got bad enough in 90k miles.

Archived