I recently purchased a 2005 VFR800 (approximately 20K miles on the odometer). I had ridden it and found out it wasn't running properly, sometimes idling at almost 4K rpms when warm (wax unit failure) and not fully heating up to temperature when riding/left radiator getting hot before thermostat opening temp range (thermostat failure). I did drained the coolant which appeared to be the original blue/green Honda coolant and there was some dark colored gunk in the overflow tank. I have disassembled the bike to replace the thermostat and wax unit. When inspection the removed wax unit I can't see through the inside of the wax unit and I see a bit of the the same dark colored gunk that was in the overflow tank.

My questions are:

1. Should you be able to see through or blow through the wax unit? It appears mine is 100% plugged up.
  2. What position should the wax unit be in when cold? (Extended or Retracted)
  3. What is the dark colored gunk in the coolant overflow and wax unit?

• Member Contributer

Hi Qbel,

I bought an 02 had the exact same problem, my Wax Unit was solid right up to the opening of the ports, both sides, should be completely clear, no obstructions. Looked liked green (antifreeze) calcium deposits (like PO had run water only at some point). I replaced it along with a new thermometer... All sorted, not sure which way it moves as it gets hotter, but Wax Unit came with the white paint securing the nut in position so no adjusting is necessary. It's a chore (Kaldek has some good YouTube vids) to remove throttle body, hoses, etc. So I would also recommend getting the injectors cleaned and mapped showing before and after. I used Injectortune in the UK.

Hope this helps, I've just done this so any questions, shout.

Kim

• 1 month later...

It's impossible to diagnose an engine problem with any certainty, but gunk in the coolant can be a sign of a damaged head gasket. I don't know what a wax unit is, but I imagine if there is gunk building up in the coolant overflow, then it can be building up elsewhere and jamming open your thermostat.

I have heard that mixing different types of coolant products can do this as well, although I've never seen it myself.

Not much help, but I hope someone chimes in or I hope it helps. Good luck!

~Dave

Archived