Rear Header/exhaust Removal?

VFRLuvr

The "special bolts" came off the Motad exhaust header studs on the rear left header, which is the absolutely worst header to access. The flange rattles and I'm pretty sure the header not being bolted down is what's causing the noise so loud even squids comment. I have the shop manual and have followed all the steps to access the header, but I must be missing some steps because I'm not anywhere near it. I removed rear fender A and rear fender B, and all associated wiring. Am I missing something after removing the big 'ol under fender? It's surprisingly large btw. I'm on pages 2-29 and 2-30 of the shop manual and where it says, "Remove the rear exhaust pipe special nuts..." There's no way I can do that with a normally jointed arm. Is there some trick to gain greater access? Do I need to remove the tank, swing arm, rear shock, or sub frame? I'm trying to avoid that...

Also, just about every connection in the exhaust system has soot coming out it and it's loud as hell (probably due to one of the headers not being bolted down.) Is a new gasket set recommended or does a little soot not matter?

2006, Motad headers, Scorpion exhaust. I installed these myself in 2006, but don't remember how I got up in there.

Nevermind, I skipped the step on 2-29 "Remove the right footpeg holder and heat guard..."I assumed I'd access the left header from the left, but it turns out you access the left header directly through the the heat guard area with long socket wrench extenders. Still wondering if I should worry about gaskets. On a scale of one to threat level red, how important is the heder to engine gasket? I'm guessing it's pretty fouled by now, but figure if I clamp it down well enough it may not matter?

Edit: I just found an old post about a Motad gasket blowing and causing excessive noise, so that answers my question about soot and noise. I'll be doing a whole new gasket set including header to engine. I ordered Yamaha part No. 3XW-14755-00 to replace the Motad to Motad gaskets.

Archived