Headlight Fuse/no Lights Help

jaydj

Started my bike this AM and -- NO freaking headlights. No high or low beams -- noticed it when I saw the high beam indicator was out then checked both high and low beams. No lights.

Did some searching around -- might be the fuse or this:

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html

Apparently starting your bike with the high beams on is bad for the starter. Strangely enough I noticed by starter sticking -- I would have to sort of pull it back out after starting recently.

I do not have an owners manual, so can anyone post up a diagram of where I can locate the headlight fuse for me to check that out. My 1.5hr commute this AM was really unnerving today w/out lights, and I have to do it again at dusk so I'd like to sort this out if possible.

Thanks.

Figured this out, and the link I found above was spot-on. Starter button was sticking due to corrosion from the heavy salt surfing on northeast PA roads this winter. Easy fix, cleanup on the contacts with scotchbite, and lubed the throttle cables as well.

Good to hear you got it sorted. To answer your question in the first post, the fuses can be found under the seat just behind the tank. The battery and a bunch of other stuff including the fuse box hide under a rubber flap or two down there. The cover on the fuse box has a diagram on its inside describing which fuse is which.

Hope that helps.

• 2 years later...

Figured this out, and the link I found above was spot-on. Starter button was sticking due to corrosion from the heavy salt surfing on northeast PA roads this winter. Easy fix, cleanup on the contacts with scotchbite, and lubed the throttle cables as well.

How did you get the starter button out? I had the same problem a couple of days ago -- start the bike, no low beam or high beam. Even the "high beam" blue light on the dash wouldn't come on. I ended up opening the switch and blasting it with contact cleaner a while. A bunch of dirty water (Boston...) came out and voila, headlights worked!

Archived