Newbie Looking for Help (Quick!)

Guest larry1096

Guest larry1096

I've found a VF500 for what seems a good price locally, and would like to take a look at it. I've always loved the older Honda V4's, but never owned one (I'm currently riding a CBR1000f.)

Any ideas what to look out for when checking the bike out? Specific quirks or anything? It's an '86, which I *think* means the cam issues were sorted, right?

Appreciate any help,

Thanks,

Larry

• Member Contributer

VF500Fs are great bikes. This said owning one comes with caveats. Proper maintenance is key.

The most important thing with owning a 500 is to let the engine warm up. By this I mean get the engine hot before riding. This requires more than the time it takes to put on your helmet, gloves and jacket. By taking the time to warm up the engine you will help to insure proper lubrication of the valve train.

Cam issues (all years have this) are better referred to as follower issues. Inclusions on the cams cause damage to the surface of followers which in turn grind down the cam lobes.

Other keys to the 500: keep the revs in check, be meticulous about setting the valve lash, and change the oil often. OEM parts are also very hard to come by and even more so on the '86 (valve springs being at the top of the list). Having room for a dedicated spare parts shelf is a big plus to owning any vintage bike with the 500 being no exception.

Hope this is of some help in thinking over you purchase. Keep us posted!

Thanks for that. Won't be able to see the bike for a couple days, but it's an '86 w/ 24k, runs good, new clutch, and cosmetically so-so. Any pointers on what I should consider a 'fair' price?

Thanks again,

Larry

Having room for a dedicated spare parts shelf is a big plus to owning any vintage bike with the 500 being no exception.

Mr Cities, is there a suggested spare parts list for these bikes? I'd be interested to hear what you think people should be stockpiling.

• Member Contributer
Mr Cities, is there a suggested spare parts list for these bikes? I'd be interested to hear what you think people should be stockpiling.

Gaz, I'd keep an eye out for gaskets, seals, spark units, pulse generators, and inner and outer valve springs.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that. Won't be able to see the bike for a couple days, but it's an '86 w/ 24k, runs good, new clutch, and cosmetically so-so. Any pointers on what I should consider a 'fair' price?

24k is a decent amount on the clock. Cosmetically so-so is a red flag to me. You could have a keeper (I hope you do) but without diving into the mechnanics (inspecting the valve train as a start) you won't know for sure. The countershaft seal is also something to take a look at. It is major undertaking to replace one and if leaking this most likely means there is a bearing issue.

Archived