VTR Firestorm/Superhawk Forks

Guest shiverviffer

Guest shiverviffer

Just got myself a good deal on a 6000 mile set of forks from a Firestorm. I've read into all the fork conversion options and ended on this one for best bang for the buck. And my VFR 750 has 74,000 miles on it so it won't take much to make a 'bang' in the handling department.

I went with this choice because of price and straighforward 41mm fitment. I also I live near the UK so all of the issues these forks are known for can be cured by a re-work at Maxton suspension in the North of England who can do pretty much anything you ask to a set of forks. Yes I won't have compression adjustability, but let's be honest - I'm looking for fast road riding/occasional track day and once I have a compression setting dialed in I doubt I would notice the difference of a click in or out so I will trust in the fixed settings that the fork shop will work out for me based on the bike, rider and use.

Another thing that pursuaded me was the apparently straightforward bolt on of the SP1/RC51 brakes.

Questions I have are:

I just have the forks right now so I guess I need:

Front wheel spindle (longer from VTR due to 2 pinch bolts per side)

Firestorm/Hawk front fender/mudguard

Brake calipers and master cylinder from a RC51 - I've heard that M/C and caliper specs change throughout production of the RC51 - anyone shed any light on this as its unlikely that I can buy everything together off the same bike - most likely calipers and M/C available seperately on Ebay. Need to make sure I get a match.

Will I need to grind the caliper/fork lower to get these to fit? If that's the case I might just go with the CBR900 rr calipers that are on the Firestorm - these will be cheaper and easier to get hold of.

Any info appreciated!

I think the CBR F4i, 600RR, 929 and 954 are all identical externally. Meaning bolt spacing and offset. Yes, the caliper needs just a little shave on the mounting side to fit on but nothing major. You will need a new master cylinder depending on which calipers you end up with.

I've heard the VTR fork swap done in several ways. Swap the entire triple clamp with legs or swap just the fork legs or swap just the lowers. I guess in the end, it all ends up the same.

I'm in the process of putting an entire 929 front end on my 93 Frankenviffer project and my stock 93 is getting a 954 front end. I'd say that I need a new hobby but this is so much fun!

enjoy!

Archived