1984 VF700F New owner, info/tips?

Guest JohnnyBentsmoke357

nice new bike , me to i am into a restoration of an 1984 vf750 and like the others said remove the carb to clean it will be a good investement and for tha gas tank por 15 is excellent i did my tank with it super job but be sure to drain the excess completely or else it will lift and not stick to the tank

I would like to do the POR 15 but atm can't even afford the 40 bucks for it lol. I'm hoping that this process I'm doing will be good enough for now and when I get the chance I will do the POR 15. For some reason even with the tank entirely disassembled I couldn't get every bit of fuel out...tried every opening and various angles...gonna be a task trying to get all the gravel out! Ugh. I really wish my dryer was big enough to fit the tank...I'm already sore from shaking the thing up lol. I noticed that the main hole on the tank has a lip around it on the inside which stops a lot from coming out. I wish I had an air compressor! :-/

Voltage regulator wiring is a very common issue with these bikes. As the connections age and corrosion sets in resistance builds up to the point where the connector housing will actually melt! Disconnect the three wire connector and take a look at the terminals inside - I'm willing to bet they're black and burnt already. Most common fix is to snip the connectors off and solder the wires directly together for a solid connection. Use heavy heat shrink tubing over each wire to keep them insulated.

Also, it's VERY common to find that prior owners have wired the fans on or wired up a switch to bypass the temp sender - they're known to fail too.

Yeah, when I bought my bike it already had some gravel in the tank!!! I removed the gas cap and the gauge sending unit to get everything out - took quite a while.

I'm debating rather it'll be beneficial to leave the fans wired like they are so that they run constantly??? Not to excited about taxing the electrical system though....

Voltage regulator wiring is a very common issue with these bikes. As the connections age and corrosion sets in resistance builds up to the point where the connector housing will actually melt! Disconnect the three wire connector and take a look at the terminals inside - I'm willing to bet they're black and burnt already. Most common fix is to snip the connectors off and solder the wires directly together for a solid connection. Use heavy heat shrink tubing over each wire to keep them insulated.

Also, it's VERY common to find that prior owners have wired the fans on or wired up a switch to bypass the temp sender - they're known to fail too.

Good idea! I didn't even think about cutting out the connectors...no middle man lol and a cheap easy fix...I'll look into it today. Yeah I thought that the temp control switch might be busted. Thanks for the tip :-)

Archived