Help -- 6th Gen Topcase Installation Question

sportrider

• Member Contributer

I've had the oem side bags installed for eons, but finally installed the oem topcase bracket/topcase I'd acquired from a member here on my '07. Noticed the other day that the tip of the tail seems to be loose, and can flex some. Never noticed that before.

The four bolts holding the bracket to the bike are definitely long enough, and are tight, but there does seem to be space between them and the tail, which I suppose is the source of the flexibility.

Does anyone have the install instructions handy? Did I miss a spacer?

I can post a picture of the configuration tonight, but as always, thanks very much in advance for any help or suggestions! :smile:

Hey Sportrider,

I have the OEM side cases installed on my 2007 (no topcase) and also have noticed that the tip of my tail seems loose/has some play. I've checked out my install thoroughly and cannot find any cause. I wonder if that movement was there before I installed my side case racks? Anyway, doesn't seem to be causing any problems, but nags at me mentally! I may have issues...

• Member Contributer

I'll post a pic tonight, the observations and pdf instructions are most helpful. Thanks.

Two questions:

(1) Any thoughts on how the prior install of the oem side cases changes the configuration -- I don't think I could have gotten by with the short bolt shown; and

(2) Anyone have the dimensions to No. 3, "Collar (large)."

• Member Contributer

Hey Sportrider,

I have the OEM side cases installed on my 2007 (no topcase) and also have noticed that the tip of my tail seems loose/has some play. I've checked out my install thoroughly and cannot find any cause. I wonder if that movement was there before I installed my side case racks? Anyway, doesn't seem to be causing any problems, but nags at me mentally! I may have issues...

Motorcycling to me is pretty sensory -- I heard something different, like a "clunk" while underway (hit a bump), so checked for loose bolts. Couldn't find any, but then noticed the Sirius antenna had detached from the velcro attachment on the tail. That led me to seeing that the tail flexed, which led me to see the spacing between the tail and grab rails. . ..

Looks like we have the same issue. Wondering if that is the design, or did we each omit a spacer. . ..

• Member Contributer

I don't think the bolt to the subframe is the cause of the tip of the tail flexing -- it may need a spacer for appearance, but it is on rock solid:

006.jpg

I do, however, wonder whether I'm missing one of the sets of black/grey rubber bushings, pictured in the center of the below picture, one of the connections from the tail light has one on each side, the other connection doesn't:

005-1.jpg

Archived