Tach Not working

Guest jmunguia29

Guest jmunguia29

Hello,

so I recently bought this bike about 2 months ago and have been trying to get the tach to work. The speedometer works fine. When the bike is running the tach needle elevates a little but never works. Any wires to check or anything on the gauge I could look at?

my tach isnt working on my 87 vfr 700 but, like yours, all the other gauges work. im trying to figure out how to get mine working too.

• 3 weeks later...

Check the electrical system -

If you refer to my post you'll see how I'm troubleshooting -

in part -

1. Coils packs

2. ECU ( or spark boxes )

3. Pulse generators - trying next

good luck

Marty

• Member Contributer

+1 to Creacy

When I undressed my VFR I also forgot to connect the yellow wire when assembling the fairings back since all the other connectors were behind the instrumental panel except the yellow one for the tach. You very easily forget that...

• 1 year later...

on the first gen VFs the tach reads off the "spark unit" (as the parts guide calls it) for 1 and 3 behind the toolbox under the seat, if your tach doesnt work, you will have to replace the spark unit. finding one affordable is the hard part, installing it takes about 20 minutes and a cold beer on a nice day. as far as i know. dont remember which one is for 1-3 and which is 2-4 but the part numbers are (hitachi):30400-mb0-005 or (ND):30400-mb1-701 for the right side and (hitachi):30410-mb2-005 or (ND):30410-mb2-004 for the left. these numbers could be discontinued and/or changed since my part guide was printed in '84 (stealership would be able to tell you).

Archived